Laugh or Lecture?

It's bedtime...and I encourage my son that he can talk to me privately about anything...so as soon as daddy said good night and left the room...son turns to me and asks if he can tell me a joke.

"Why was the donkey fired from his job?"
"Why?"
"Because he was an ass!" giggle giggle

"Why?"
"Because he did half-ass work!" giggle giggle

Now, I will admit to laughing along with him. Then the parent in me sternly stated that he was to NEVER tell those jokes at church or school. He promised not to...and then we went back to giggling. Then he asked me to post his jokes on "my" blog (meaning this site). Which I am now doing but for reasons of my own...

Would you laugh or would you lecture?

UPDATE:  My son is 10 years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• A combo of both. Given the context in which he used the word, I wouldn't have gotten all that upset - it's not like he dropped an F-bomb in front of the Pope. lol So I would have done like you did, laughed and then told him that certain places aren't appropriate for those jokes.

My kids are so well trained not to use those words, though, that it actually presents bigger problems. They'll need to repeat something someone said, and be afraid to use the word because they know they're not supposed to - so I end up having to tell them it's okay, when you're just telling me what someone else said, you can use the word and not be in trouble. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I would actually do both how old is your son?
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I don't have a problem with DS saying ass, so I would definitely laugh.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Both.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• as long as the curse words aren't in his normal vocabulary and you told him where those jokes are not appropriate then I don't see an issue. I think you handled it great and I think its refreshing to hear a mom who lets her kids be open and comfortable with her. awesome!

p.s the jokes are funny! lol
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 11:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• lol- cute joke. I will have to tell it to my 11y/o. But with the same instructions not to repeat it at school. :) You handled it beautifully. I think it's important to let them see we have a sense of humor too. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2013

• Well ass IS another word for donkey (origination).

Fuck and shit are both acronyms meaning "Fornication Under the Consent of the King" and "Ship High In Tow", respectfully.

Damn is just short for damnation.

Not sure when these words turned into "curse" words.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2013