Wow some parents...

So just having my daily chat with my child, she told me something shocking about a classmate. She said since the beginning of the year her friend hasn't been bringing a lunch and that some of the kids including herself have been sharing their lunch with her. My child recently asked why she has not been bringing lunch and the little girl said cause my mom says I'm too fat and I can't bring lunch. Wow really, just a bit of back-round they own a beautiful home and wear lots of brand named clothes so money is not the issue. I really wonder about the mental health of the mom. Oh and the little girl is a thin beautiful aisian girl who is not fat at all. I'm going to let the teacher know privately tomorrow, But wow poor little girl. Sorry vent over.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• When I was becoming a teacher...a student told me her mother beat her. By law anyone told a child is abused is required to report it...which I did. Turns out the kid's mother grounded her...so have social services investigate her mom was the child's revenge. I was treated like a gullible idiot for weeks until I told my colleagues that even the boy who cried wolf was eventually telling the truth. A child is handed a lunch she doesn't like...throws it away on her way to school...when asked about the missing lunch...she lies. OR the child tells the truth and when it's investigated the mom lies. My son was giving his lunch money to a boy who lied to him about his family being too poor to buy lunch. When I found out and talked to the mom...she had been paying the school lunch account all year long. (I verified it with the Cafeteria lady and Mom standing right there). The mom paid me back all the money her son stole.
    vanillaorchida

Answer by vanillaorchida at 10:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I'm not saying it's wrong to tell anyone (I would too) but depending on the age of the child I would wonder if thats really 100% the case. How to the teachers not notice this girl never has a lunch???
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• What they said ^^^^. Also, keep in mind that the cultural differences.

I don't know about your kids, but mine have a habit of saying that there is nothing to eat in the house when it really means that there is nothing they want to eat in the house. I can go to the store, spend $100 on groceries and if I don't buy the junk food they want at the moment, they will complain that there is nothing to eat.

I'm glad that your dd cares and that you do as well. Just keep the above in mind.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• wow, yeah I would ask the teacher and make sure the teacher is aware. im surprised the teacher hasn't said anything about the girl never coming with a lunch!
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 10:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Here a child must have a lunch one way or the other, either you send one or they eat the school's and you are billed. I would like to know how this is going under the radar. I would say something.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Exactly what Dardenella said. Our schools will even give the kids a peanut butter sandwich if they don't have a sack lunch or money in their account and they don't bill for that. You should definitely say something to the school. Maybe they just haven't noticed.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 11:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I also wonder what the real deal is aswell, I'm not going to be all nosey about it but I will for sure mention it to the teacher. The children have lunch monitors that are kids from higher grades and the teachers go on break. The school doesn't have a lunch program except hot lunch Wednesday. Poor girl, I hope the body shaming isn't going on.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2013