My son isn't saying mommy yet at 11 months should I be worried?

my son is a very happy social baby he does a lot of baby talk and is linking words together but won't say mommy... he humms and makes m sounds but doesn't say mommy or momma or mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No reason at all to worry! Keep talking to your baby and LISTEN to them. Your little one will slowly begin to communicate with you, but it may not be in the ways you expect. My son (16 months old) only just started speaking and has few words. However, he signs to me *and* he makes up his own signs or sounds to communicate. We hardly ever have a misunderstanding even though we never have conversations. Never compare your child to other people's expectations...listen to him and your heart and go from there.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:02 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Most babies do not talk with any real meaning until after a year old. Although many babies your son's age will say "mamama" or "dadada" it is usually just sounds, not the actual word.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 11:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my son will only say dada sometimes you'll get a mama, its just an easier word to say.Have someone in your family stay consistent with calling you mama when your son is around.He'll get it.Dont worry!
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I know its just that he knows daddy. he looks right at my SO and says dadda and does other baby babble when he's not home.. I guess I'm just nervous and takin it personally cuz I'ma PPD mom and my insurance ended so now I don't have meds and I'm freakin out over everything...
    Anonymous

• dont freak out...he's fine try teaching him uh oh and no no.They usually dont atsrt saying words really til 1year and talking(with sentences) til about 2-3years.
    Anonymous

• my oldest son didn't call me mommy till he was almost 3. instead he referred to me as "hey you".
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:37 AM on Feb. 20, 2009