Lake Michigan College campuses closed due to "security threat"

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/lake-michigan-college-closes-campuses-cites-security-threat/-/21046398/23354930/-/c8ij05z/-/index.html

From what I've gathered on the news, they suspect a fired employee might do something.  Nothing about anyone actually seeing them do something.  Are we getting too cautious, or is this better than risking an angry person going over the edge?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Geez, I just change the locks at the store and go on about my day....

I guess it all depends on what that employee's previous history, i.e., threats, etc.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• To add, it's kind of like giving the employee the will to walk all over you. You can't fire them, you have to walk on thin ice... it's really a crock of s***, if you ask me. Roll over and play dead.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• They did another update a few minutes ago - guy was fired yesterday, and they've evac'd all their campuses. Still being vague about why though.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• There has to be a reason...I like how they hold out the most important details!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• So now we are questioning their being proactive and trying to avoid a perceived threat, but if something happened and they did nothing, we would be outraged that they didn't do anything? They may not give a reason due to privacy laws.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I guess it depends on what the threat was and if they really think the former employee would follow through. I do think, especially these days, it's better to be safe than sorry.

As for not giving the reasons, I imagine they can't. Imagine if you got fired, and in your pissed off mood, said something like, "I wish I could blow this place up." You probably don't mean it, and if they announce that you said it, your life is pretty much destroyed. People will hear that you said that, and no one will want to hire you, other parents will look sideways at you thinking you'll blow up over every little thing, etc. Not to mention, if the threat didn't come directly from the employee but from someone else, then he/she could sue the college for defamation.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• So now we are questioning their being proactive and trying to avoid a perceived threat, but if something happened and they did nothing, we would be outraged that they didn't do anything?

The campuses they're closing are 30 miles apart. It has to be a pretty vague threat since he can't be in two places at once.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2013