If you could do it all over again,what would you do differently?

I would have tried harder to breastfeed. My hospital didn't even have a rep for support. They sent in a nurse to my room after i had my son. She watched me try to get him to latch on,and when I asked her if i was doing it right,she asked me if i thought I was. Well,i've never done this before hon so...
I got so nervous when he kept crying and wouldn't latch,and when he did,he wasn't on right and my nipples were bruised and bleeding. I gave up and got formula.
Everybody was crying in those days!
I also would use cloth diapers.Disposable are so expensive.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No regrets.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I would have had kids sooner & more of them.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I would have bought a different house instead of this one.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I wish I had called my OB when I first saw my BP was high (162/?). I'll always wonder if waiting 4 days would have made any difference, aka not having to deliver 7 weeks early.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I would have tried harder to get my DS to sleep by himself. He still crawls in bed with us at night and majority of the time we never notice until the morning, but at least DD sleeps in her own bed.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I wouldn't "wait and see" if my son developed speech, I would have had him tested for developmental delays much earlier than age 3 so we could have started early intervention sooner. I truly believe he would be so much further along than he is.

Answer by missanc at 2:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• Oh, with babies. Duh. I would have tried to BF DS longer than I tried. The nurses at the hospital really wanted him to sleep a lot and they insisted that he was 'starving' because I couldn't quite get him to latch correctly. He was my first and I didn't know what I was doing. They did have a lactation consultant that worked the floor, but she would only come by twice a day and only had a couple minutes with each patient. She didn't think it was a big deal to supplement him with formula, so we allowed that. As a result, him getting an easier meal from a bottle turned into him becoming used to a faster flow than my breast could provide. I felt horrible about not being able to BF him, but the stress of him not wanting to take the breast and me being a new mother and feeling like I was failing miserably was preventing me from bonding with him. I accepted the bottle feeding and never looked back. BF DD though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I would have let more of the housework go and spent more time rocking and cuddling them. When they were little, I felt that I had too much that needed to be done, and I feel I really missed a lot of special time with my babies.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I don't have regrets about breastfeeding or many of the choices I made, but if I could do it over again I'd want to be more of an emotional anchor for my babies. Their crying or fussiness triggered so much anxiety in me and now I can see that I didn't tolerate their feelings very well at all! (I just wanted them SOOTHED!!)

Now I think I have more personal resources for managing my own emotions better, and for getting the emotional support I need in order to do so, and I think I could be much more emotionally available for them. I believe it would make parenting later on MUCH easier, and that's one thing I'd like to do again (I know if I literally were "doing it over" it would be the same, because I WAS doing the best I could & I just didn't have a different way of being with my own discomfort, but I think "doing it again" with a new baby would be different and sometimes I feel wistful about that.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 4:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I would have insisted that the doctors let me try to push a little longer because I didn't feel the overwhelming urge yet, even if they told me I did. How could they know I did, if I didn't think so? I felt a bit pressured into a C-section, even though the doctor swore up and down afterward that it would have been inevitable, and maybe it would have been, but I still felt bullied into it. Also, I would have insisted on breastfeeding that first night, even if I was so exhausted I could barely hold my head up. I think it would have made that entire first year of my baby's life, and thus my life, soooo much easier. I would have made my boyfriend hold my freaking head up if need be, but by God, I would have tried to put that baby to the breast at least once that night.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2013