Should I ask for a 24 hour urine test?

My quick urine dipstick tests come back with no protein and my blood pressure keeps going anywhere from 106/65 to 139/84. I do have bad swelling in my hands, feet, and legs but only minimal swelling in my face. About 2-4 times a day for about a few weeks now I've been seeing flashing shooting stars and it happens even when I'm just sitting relaxing or doing a little bit of walking. Past few days it's been happening more and more but I just went to my OB on the 3rd for my 33 week checkup and my next appointment is the 17th. Should I call about it and request the test or should I just trust my tests and blood pressure for when I'm at my check ups? Very lost on what to do. I'm 26 and my first pregnancy I was 19 and went into the labor and delivery at the hospital at 35 weeks after weeks of extreme swelling and flashing lights. So I'm a little lost on what to do and worried my doctor will just pass it off. Has anyone else been through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Did you mention the vision problems to your OB? Preeclampsia isn't anything to mess around with, so I'm sure they wouldn't/shouldn't just dismiss that.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I would have mentioned what's been going on to him if my urine wasn't coming back with negative protein. Only once at 24 weeks did it come back with 1+ but then went to negative by my next appointment.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• He knows I've got a history of preeclampsia and that I've been concerned about it happening with this pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I would call and tell him everything Good Luck Pre-E is nothing to mess with I had it with my 1st.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• If you experience ANY symptoms of preeclampsia, you should tell your OB. Vision changes is a big red flag. Call and tell them.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• The thing is, is that my blood pressure hasn't been elevated and no protein is showing up so I'm sure that because it's only visual disturbances that he will down play it. I've had a few episodes of contractions 5-7 minutes apart and lasting up to 3-4 hours and have been to labor and delivery a couple times because of it but he hasn't checked to see if I've dilated or anything. I've thought about switching but only have 7 weeks left
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• Don't ask. Insist. You're concerned about this. Until your concern is addressed, it will continue to mess with your stress levels, which isn't helpful. Don't let him try to 'ease' your concerns. If he didn't deliver your first child, he wasn't there and knows only what is documented, which should be thorough, but isn't the same as being there. If he did deliver your first child, remind him of why he wrote what he wrote.

My blood pressure was never that high, nor was I spilling protein. A suspicious nurse strongly suggested the 24-hour test, which caught my pre-e and kept my firstborn safe.

If he has Saturday office hours, call in the morning.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• Thanks, I'll do just that. He couldn't even access my notes since it's from a different hospital that he's not aflitated with. He barely has notes from my other clinic I was going to, I only switched cause kaiser refused to see me after I turned 26. I feel like the stars and the sudden swelling is cause enough for concern. In the last day or so my face has become real swollen and I didn't notice until I had a picture taken tonight. :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2013