An option I hadn't even considered :)

As part of my morning errands I popped into my son's school to talk to the principal about getting my daughter moved to that school for next year, her 2nd grade year. My thinking was to put her out of reach of her little bully. The school she's at now is doing all right, so far, about keeping them separated. But, I don't see that situation changing for the better any time soon. Besides, my daughter has been asking to go to her brother's school more and more lately.

Well the principal suggested moving her over during the Christmas Break. She could go into a 1st/2nd split class. I was only looking at NEXT year, and trying to figure out what I needed to do, and when, to facilitate the move THEN. This idea really appeals to me, but it's not a decision I make on my own.

I talked to my husband, and he kind of likes the idea too. This is not our decision alone though, my kids get to add their input too. We've got a little bit of time to think about it, and decide if we really want to do it.

I'm hesitant though. I don't really like the idea of moving her in the middle of a year, she seems to have a lot of friends in this class. On the other hand, she's so social, she makes friends wherever she goes. I WOULD have both kids at the same school, which would be nice. We could completely avoid one school and not have to deal with ANYONE there anymore. I like the philosophy of the principal at my son's school a little better than the one at my daughter's school.

What would y'all do? Move, or not move?

EDIT (12/10): I guess I misunderstood the principal. I went in Monday to ask about paperwork, and she was surprised I wanted to do it NOW. There really isn't space right now. But, if I wait for Open Enrollment in January I shouldn't have a problem getting her moved for next year.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 2:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Move her now. At that age they don't really have established friends yet. I don't see an issue at all. My Son is in 1st too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• Why do they go to different schools?

Honestly, I would put her in the new school ASAP. This way she makes some new friends before the summer break and won't be too nervous about not knowing anyone when school starts in the fall.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I would move her, especially if she's social and out going. If she has true friends at the old school you can keep in touch and they'll do the same.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• Why do they go to different schools?

Because he's in our gifted program. They call it Highly Capable, or HiCap here. That program is at School B, and our home school, the one my daughter goes to, is School A.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• If you have the opportunity move her since all the issues you have been having. Good Luck:)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• Ahh, that makes sense. If it were me, I would want them at the same school if and when possible.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I agree with QM, move her so they can be in the same school.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 3:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• Yes, I say good idea, then when she makes art the new teacher won't complain, maybe? Why not is is worth a shot.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• then when she makes art the new teacher won't complain, maybe?

LOL.

This is why I ask these questions. Y'all are more removed from the situation(s) and, for the most part, give good advice.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I think having them both at the same school would be good, and from what (little) you've described of her 1st grade teacher I would think a move/teacher change would be desirable. So since the possibility exists, I'd explore it.

I didn't respond to your post about the art issue, but it sounded like her present teacher A) gets triggered by situations and then lets her emotions & frustrations influence how she behaves in the classroom & B) isn't aware of it, or justifies having done so (blames students/circumstances for her emotions.)

"A" happens to any/all of us when under enough stress, but "B" is kind of a bummer. I would like to have a teacher who recognizes when it happens & realizes that it was unfortunate or a mistake, rather than making excuses, and not even recognizing it as an issue.

Given an opportunity to make a teacher change, and to have both children in the same school, I'd take a good look at the alternative.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2013