How do I increase my milk supply after it decreased soon after getting the Mirena IUD?

I just recently got the Mirena back in and it seems to have decreased my milk supply. My boobs are not as full and my son is wanting to nurse almost constantly now, and before he seemed to be getting full and eating ever 3-4 hrs. Any advice would be helpful. I know that the Mirena is not supposed to affect your milk supply but I feel it has affected mine.

Britnie B.

Asked by Britnie B. at 4:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep nursing often. Your breast will catch back up if the demand is high. Also your baby could be going through a growth spurt and just need to eat more often. Don;t get discouraged and supplement, your body will regulate after a while. Just hang in there.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• Thank you, thats what I thought but was worried that the mirena would have a permanent affect.
    Britnie B.

Comment by Britnie B. (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• You should know that it's normal for your breasts to not get full. That means supply is regulated to your son's need. And his eating schedule will vary. There are many periods in year one when he'll want to nurse all the time. Doesn't mean your supply is bad, means he's growing.

All normal. I'd worry if you did NOT see these things.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• IF you're changing 6 diapers a day then supply is fine. Sounds like supply has regulated. You don't want full breasts because that tells your body to slow down milk production.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Ask the doctor
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 7:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2014