When do you walk away?

You have been with a person for awhile (a little over 6 months). We had been having problems with fighting a lot and both agreed one day that if things do not get better that it is best for us to just walk away. In that same day we ended up breaking up over a misunderstood text message. My feelings for him are still very strong and he says he wants to be with me but cannot handle the fighting. If you still had strong feelings for someone but for some reason fought with them a lot (never yelling fighting, just more annoying arguments), would you walk away or give it your all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2013 in Relationships

• It's too soon for fights. At 6 months,you should still be in the "honeymoon" stage
    All signs point to you moving on

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I agree that if you're fighting this much this often in a relationship, it doesn't sound like a good fit. It doesn't mean you don't have feelings for him, and it may take some time go get over, but it doesn't sound like a basis for a great long term relationship.

Answer by missanc at 10:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I would walk away.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• "both agreed... if things do not get better... to just walk away." That sounds like you both realize you don't belong together. Your brains know it. "My feelings for him are still very strong and he says he wants to be with me". Hormones/chemistry are not enough to build a relationship on. You don't argue with your girlfriends over stupid shit? Why would you want to spend your life with someone you argue with all the time? Are you both clinging to each other just to not be alone?

When you truly love someone...you see them as "perfect" and therefore you make excuses for things they say and do...you find plausible reasons to explain away and avoid a fight. (Granted this honeymoon stage fades.) You two don't see each other that way now at the beginning...it's all down hill from here. Unless you are an argument/adrenalin junkie...in which...you are doomed to argue with all people in your life.
    vanillaorchida

Answer by vanillaorchida at 10:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• If there is enough problems and fighting to break up over then I think I would be moving on. While relationships are work in the way of communication and nurturing the relationship between you, breaking up over a misunderstanding is a sign that the communication just isn't there. I need to be able to communicate with my partner for everything else to work.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• I agree with the other comments. Too soon to be fighting and shouldn't be arguing about a text message. You can still have feelings for someone but the relationship may not be good for you.
    Kim370

Answer by Kim370 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• Time to walk is now.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• Peace out!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2013

• You should be fucking, not fighting.
    Get out of there.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2013

• walk away
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 8:05 AM on Dec. 7, 2013