Homemade Christmas gifts?

Anyone making homemade gifts this year? We've had car troubles this last month with both our cars urrghh . We bought our kids Christmas gift and gifts for the kids in the family, but I was thinking about making homemade gifts for the rest of my family member ( gparents,aunts,cousins, ) . Since money is tight. I was thinking about home made toffee and put it in a nice Christmas tin.. I wanted to make homemade ornaments too (have the kids make them). What do you think any ideas? sounds good? what are you doing?

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 2:22 AM on Dec. 7, 2013 in Holidays

• Just tell them you only want to exchange with the kids. I'm sure everyone will be relieved. That's what we've been doing for years. No one really has the extra money for all those gifts. Just that no one wants to be the one to suggest it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I love getting and making home made candies/sweets. Christmas bark is easy and yummy too. I like the one that is white chocolate, dark chocolate, and nuts.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2013

• We usually do cookies. In fact, we are mass producing ninjabread men today. We've also been known to add add mint brownies and ricekrispy treats to the mix. The kids either make an ornament or hand make a card.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2013

• We usualy do cookie/ fudge boxes for friends, or people who are not immediate family.

we've never had a complaint ;)

*we also have agreements with people in the family- that we don't buy for the and they don't buy for us.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Oh and let's not forget homemade hot cocoa mix. If you are really good at it, make the mug too.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:51 AM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I like making gifts. Especially baked goods. I am going to be making red velvet cupcakes for our neighbors this year. I do have to brag a moment ... a few years ago, never having done wood burning before, decided that was what I was going to do for the family. Here's a few I did ... never done this before.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2013

• We are making homemade apple butter for adults. It takes a good bit of apples though. We did it last year, because my DH had left over fruit from his fruit sales (Ag teacher), and we decided to do it again this year, too. We decided in my family just to buy for the kids.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:14 AM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I'd love it... especially the candy!

My grandma used to do that. We cherished her candy....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I think that is a wonderful idea and I would rather have something made at home, with loving hands I do not think trying to change other's gift giving plans is very nice this close to Christmas, since others have possibly already done their shopping, as others suggested. Tell them you wish it was more but you hope they will think of you when enjoying the brittle.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Spirited witch those are really nice and I would love it if someone gave me something like that. I have made napkin sets and placemats and table runners. But candy (especially fudge) has always been a favorite. Cookies of course and I like to make breads. I can do a loaf of bread abd a jug of wine and have the recipient happy as a lark, or homemade noodles, and homeand sauce Adding a bit of cheese to grat and a loaf of bread a you have a meal for two. Add a candle and it is rimantic.but a consumable gift can be givrn again and again,
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2013