She laughs at me..

My daughter is 20mos old. When she is bad we tell her no and tell her time out 1 minute. (Sometimes we even very very lightly slap her hand). She looks at me and laughs. She gets up and I put her back and put her back and put her back. She laughs the whole time, it is very frustrating. Not once have I taught her that time out is funny or laughed with her. So I think that she thinks time out is funny, she doesn't understand that the things she is doing are bad, so she continues to do them. I dont really know what the solution is here. Is it just a phase she is going through or..? Any advice would be helpful.

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD hasnt reached that stage yet (she is 16 months) But I think it is a phase, be firm and make sure you make her stay there and Im sure she will out grow it
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It's def. just a stage they go through!My daughter is going to be 3 in 2 weeks and she still laughs when we tell her no and try and discipline her!i hate it!but it will go away one day lol just hang in there!
    jenniek510

Answer by jenniek510 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• No offense, but I think time outs at this age are very ineffective and confusing for little ones. She is too young to really grasp the concept of them. I would hold off on the time outs and instead of punishing her, demonstrate good behavior. This works really well for me:)
    Good luck 20 months can be a tough age!
    Anonymous

• when my son is bad (he's 2) i slap his hand hard enough so it will hurt a little bit, then send him to time out.. and that way he knows i mean business. some people may be against this but it's very affective for me.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 12:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• She doesn't understand it's a punishment yet. My 2-1/2 year old was up late last night and I told him "I don't want to hear another peep out of you..." and he said..."peep..." and I couldnt' help but laugh but give it time. If you use time out and have a serious look on your face when you use it then she will get the message, that it's not funny.

She's adorable by the way. Girls are so much fun. I have one girl who is a teenager and 2 toddlers, 1-1/2 and 2-1/2.
    pamkay414

Answer by pamkay414 at 5:20 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• oh good luck my son has been though this stage but now 3 months later he acts like the world is ending if we put him in time out so this to will end
    littleleesmom

Answer by littleleesmom at 10:23 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My son does the same thing...so I try to be firm so he knows mommy is upset and if he gets out of timeout I just keep putting him back....but you might want to try a minute and a half or two minutes now that she is closer to two....my doctor said to gradually raise the time closer to 2 as he starts getting closer to 2 because it is suppose to be a minute for every year old. I think maybe it is just a phase, if i tell my son turn around and put his nose in the corner then he turns around in circles, falls on his bum, and laughs at me...it is like he understood but takes everything very literally so now I am very careful what I say lol just try and be consistent and wait it out. Eventually she will see it is a punishment.
    LOVE2bMOMMY525

Answer by LOVE2bMOMMY525 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Sounds like you need to put the mad mommy fear into him. I use a harsh sounding voice and maybe smack the hand depending on the severity of the problem. Even though it seems mean you have to show kids who really is the boss. Now my boys know I mean business when I get the tone and I usually dont have to spank them. Get them when they are young because the older they are the harder is gets.
    sweetamber2386

Answer by sweetamber2386 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 26, 2009