In the Spirit of Gift Giving ...

Girls just want to use their BRAINS

I don't know if this has been posted, but I love this.

So, would you get your daughter(s) GoldieBlox and encourage this or just buy them dolls b/c that is what society says girls are "supposed" to do?

In case you can't click on the link above, here's a c&p for ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLYdoyFfmc

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 11:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• I have mixed emotions about those toys. On the one hand, yes, get girls doing more STEM stuff. On the other, if it's all about showing anyone can do anything, why does it all have to be pink and girly. They're kind of shooting themselves in the foot by using stereotype girly themes (PINK! and ribbons and sewing spools and something that looks straight out of Cinderella's attic).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• That's awesome. I think my DD is a little young for those, but I can already tell that she doesn't really care for dolls. My MIL and SIL have bought her numerous baby dolls, but she doesn't play with them. She plays with what her older brother plays with; cars, trains, dinosaurs, superheroes, etc.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:28 AM on Dec. 7, 2013

• That's awesome. I may get something like that for the granddaughters this year.

My daughters always played with Legos and Erector Sets.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I used to build model cars with my brothers too.... Loved it!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I think this is an excellent gift and would have given it to my daughter.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• My daughter likes baby dols sometimes, but she also likes brainy stuff. Half the time, she cuddles her My Little Pony baby doll and feeds it a bottle, and half the time she sits it up in a rocket ship built out of a kitchen chair and some pieces from a shipping box and goes on some kind of a space adventure, so who knows? She's got a pretty eclectic mix of toys.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I would have loved to have those as a kid. I used my birthday money to buy model cars.

People just could not understand that I was not a "girly-girl" that wanted to play with stupid Barbies and shit. I cut their hair off and painted them with model paint and then would shoot them with a pellet gun or set them on fire.
    SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Dec. 7, 2013