Breast feeding

I'm ready to stop now! my daughter will be a year old on the 17th. My doctor told me that I could stop immediately, and when I did that I got an infection (mastitis) soI had to take antibiotics for two weeks. I'm fine now and she's telling me to gradually do it how did you guys about weening your child off? Please help!!!!

KColeman90

Asked by KColeman90 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 7, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Doctors commonly mislead moms n breastfeeding. Drop one feeding per week till gone. Also know that there are benefits to baby AND YOU if you continue to two years, such as optimal brain development for baby and a 50% reduction in breast cancer risk for you.

I used "don't offer don't refuse." I never offered after the first birthday and never refused. He weaned at 26 months and I was fine with that.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Mine was fairly easy as we were adding more things to her diet I would just cut one feeding a day until all we had left was one at night. The night feeding was more about cuddling and she wouldn't feed for long before she would fall asleep and at that point we just stopped breastfeeding and just read books and cuddled before she would fall asleep. So my milk supply just gradually dropped off when we started to cut out feedings.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Do not ask a doctor for breastfeeding advice. Seek out a lactation specialist.

Drop one feeding per week until done. If you need to stop breastfeeding all together then start pumping and feeding from a cup. Drop one feeding session per week. Find out if the antibiotic you were given is compatible with breastfeeding. Sounds like your doctor either doesn't have a clue or miss understood your question.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I agree with the above. A lactation specialist can be a god send, and usually advice is free. But do go gradual otherwise things can get rough
    dragonmommy8

Answer by dragonmommy8 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• You drop one feeding per week until all feedings are gone.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Wean
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 7:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2014