my 18 year old son left the house with his friends because he don't want follow the mu rule and I am scared he may end up with wrong crowd how i will make him to return home

mehret

Asked by mehret at 12:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• You CAN'T....

The only thing you can do is leave the lines of communication open. Tell him you are there for him and that you'd like to see him do a little bit better for himself....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I don't think you can make him return home! He is old enough to make and learn from his own mistakes. Pray that you raised him to make the right choices! I understand as a parent that is very hard to take but that is life. Best of luck!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• You don't. You call his cell as long as you can and tell him you love him and the door is always open.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• He's 18. He gets to make his own decisions now. Maybe let go a little and let him make his own mistakes. He will eventually understand why you have the rules you have. If you ease up on your house rules then he learns that they don't mean that much and he doesn't need to follow them. These are healthy boudaries.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• He will come home when he is ready. Be there for him when he needs you.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• You can't. I know how hard this is, but sometimes they have to learn things on their own. Sometimes when they get out there and things aren't as easy as they thought, they come home....hopefully more respectful and appreciative.

My oldest son (now 31) told me that he knew my rules were right, he just didn't want them to apply to him. Of course he wouldn't have told me that back when he was 18.

Big hugs and good luck Mama.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• You can't. Legally he is an adult and responsible for his own choices. If your rules were too restricting then I can't say I blame him for leaving.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• If you know you were right, Mom, stand your ground. Hopefully he'll come home eventually and straighten himself out if he had a good foundation to build on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• He's an adult. If he fucks up, it's HIS problem. Not yours.
    I have instructed my son to not ever call me if he gets arrested. He can sit and rot. If his doper friends get him in trouble, he can rely on them to get him out.
    Tough love, mama.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Make sure you communicate that you will always be there if he needs you, parenting does not stop because they turned a certain age, you will always be a parent until you die............communication is your only allied. And though love does not always work...you can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar............You stand by in the side lines, and keep in touch. And if you pray, do so daily.

Answer by older at 12:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2013