How Can I break the habbit of my 6 month old baby sleeping with me!

My baby is about to be 7 months and she will not sleep by herself!everytime I lay her down she wakes up!I didn't have this problem with my first daughter, but i'm having it with her!I have to sleep with her in my arms and she still wakes up like 5 times a night to breastfeed!any ideas??

jenniek510

Asked by jenniek510 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cherish it. Mine died of sids.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Maybe try playing relaxing wordless music at a light volume while she sleeps. Or try getting her a seahorse. That helps my daughter sleep at night. Its really nice because not only does it sing, but it also acts as a night light. And there is a volume control on the back. My daughter has had this for a very long time (since around 10mos), shes 20mos and still uses it! Hope this helps! :)
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3104466
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• OMG im so sorry to the first one!

and the 2nd answer that sounds like a good idea!I'll try it thanks!
    jenniek510

Answer by jenniek510 at 11:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It's still early...don't expect her to sleep all night even if you move her. There is an article on transitioning baby from the family bed on drjaygordon.com, but he doesn't recommend it till one year.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:30 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I just went through the exact same thing with my son who will be 7 months on the 7th of march. it so hard but soooo worth it!!!!! my sons doctor recommended me to do this method and i couldnt believe that it worked as well as it did, but i was desperate like you. i needed to be able to sleep without worrying about rolling on him or making sure the blankets are on him, and making sure my husband stays away from him, and i didnt want my son form bad habits by needing to nurse every time he woke up in the night or waking up to snack in the middle of the night. especially when hes already a little chubby as it is. so anyways this is what the article pretty much said that the doctor gave me and told me to follow very strictly. it said to make sure that your baby is fed changed and finished whatever bed time routine you have then while awake yet tired lay down in their crib and tell them you love em and tuck em in, then leave (cont)
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 1:10 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• and shut the door, you can also put on a timed music player if you want and let it play for the first ten min but not to reset it one time through and thats it. then go set a timer for 30 mins. seriously it helps when you have something to count for you because its hard to hear them cry. but the article says that you can go in the room after 30 mins and tell your baby you love them and rub theyre belly or back, but DO NOT pick em up or turn the light on or feed em or turn the toy back on or put the pacifier back in their mouth, nothing just talk to em softly and tell em itll be okay, then walk away and set the timer again and do that until they fall asleep on there own, because this is teaching her how to sooth herself. and when she wakes up in the night do the same thing until she has been in her bed for 9 to 10 hours. my experience with this was that my son didnt even cry for 15 mins the first night, and when he (cont)
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• would wake up in the middle of the night i would wait and he wouldnt cry any longer then 5 or 10 mins, and that only lasted two nights!!! seriously! now when i lay him down he doesnt make a peep and maybe wakes up once in the night but only cries for not even 5 mins but its not like hes even awake cuz he never opens his eyes and when he stops he falls a sleep, and hell sleep for 10-11 hours straight!!! from 8 pm to 6-7 am! its wonderful being a mom and it just got 75% more better do to the fact that i dont get stressed out anymore at bedtime, oh and his naps are much more manageable also hell take one from 9:30 to about 11:30 and then another around 2or 3 until 4 or 5. im telling you i was so scared to try this but it was soo worth it. let me know if you have any questions or just let me know if you try it ! good luck seriously try it
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 1:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i'm soooo sorry to hear the first one!!! i could never imagine....
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 1:25 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You are going to have to let her cry it out. If she is waking up that much then she may need to eat more.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• There is a product that may help called the magic sleepsuit. It helps calm babies and makes it easier for them to learn how to go back to sleep when woken b/c they stay warm and cozy. Check it out on facebook or the web site.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 22, 2009