Does anyone else have a 9 yr old daughter who is as tiny as mine?

She is 9 1/2 now and weighs 51 pounds. She is about 48 inches tall. When she was born, though, she was only 5 pounds and 11 ounces, 18 inches. I am only 5'3", and when I was 11, I was only 4'4" and weighed 65 pounds. My sister was the same but weighed 55 at 11! We both had huge growth spurts at 11, though, and I got to my adult height at 14. My mom is 5'2. My husband's mom is 5'4", his dad is only 5'5". My daughters great grandmothers were 4'10, 5'1, 5'4, and 5'5.  One of my aunts is only 5'1, several cousins are right around 4'11, and one Great Aunt was only 4'9".We are thinking she got the short genetics, but her height falls below the 3rd percentile now which is concerning me even though she was only at the 5th percentile at birth and 3rd percentile through her early years (which caused her docs to investigate, finding nothing at that time). But she hasn't been in 5 years.  Immunizations are all up to date, though.   Her sister is 12 and is only 4'9 but weighs 97 pounds.  She was only 4'5 at age 11 and 70 pounds. Still, 4'0 and 51 pounds seems a bit small for a 9 1/2 year old to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• sister has a girl who never makes it on the growth charts
    she is 16 now, she is small but powerful

best friend has a girl who is 12, she is size of 8 year old
    also small but powerful
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Granddaughter is 9 and weighs 70. She's tall and skinny....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Thanks. I'm going to take her to the doctor after the holidays for a regular checkup and to have this assessed by her doctor. We changed doctors, though, so I hope we don't have to do the testing all over again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Nope. My DD often is mistaken for at least a couple years older than she is because she is tall.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• This will come in handy one day........good things come in small packages....

Answer by older at 1:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• If she is still on HER growth curve (3%-5% at age checks) then what's the concern? Y'all have a lot of short women. Sounds like she's fine to me.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Small runs in your family. I don't see a problem with it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Sounds like everyone is small in your family. There's nothing wrong with that. See what the Dr has to say.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 2:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2013

• I have a daughter that is in the same boat as your. Her younger sister 4 yr old wears her clothes and she is 8 yrs old. She is in the 3rd percentile. We did have her Pediatrician run some blood tests to make sure her growth hormones wear normal as well as xray to make sure her bone growth was normal as well. She's just going to be tiny, we will be luck if she breaks the 5ft mark when she's older.
    We tell her good things come in small packages, like rings and other pretty things. It really hasn't slowed her down.
    dragonmommy8

Answer by dragonmommy8 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2013