How old was your kid when he or she learned to roller-skate?

My five-year-old is all of a sudden begging to learn and get her own skates for the sidewalk. I'm not sure what brought this on. It's the dead of winter. I never learned to skate and her dad has a blown-out ACL, so I'm not sure how we're going to pull this off, but we'll figure out something. Not in polar bear weather in the middle of the holidays, but her birthday will roll around in March, if she's old enough. What kind of price would I be looking at for a decent pair of skates. Where would I even go to look for them? Are there classes or lessons, or is it like riding a bike, where I just walk along with her and she figures it out? Other than her bike helmet, what protection would she need? She's been talking about it for a few months, so it's not like she just woke up this morning with it, but it's kind of popped up on her Christmas list, so I hinted that it might be more of a warm weather birthday thing.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• Not roller skating but ice skating.....my Son learned when he was 4 at his preschool. Skating was part of the curriculum. The school was adjacent to the ice rink. They would have holiday ice shows with the kids in it too. Just put a helmet & knee pads on her while she practices I guess. My Son had to wear a helmet.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• My son was 7 and he learned at a birthday party. They tightened the skates he wore. He would go around the rink holding on to the sides, than holding hands with friends, and once he felt comfortable he asked them to loosen the skates, and he went on his own, falling many times but eventually he got it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• My daughters both learned, but I can't remember their ages. They were little when the roller blades were popular....

Granddaughters are 9 and 5 and have no idea how to skate. There is only one rinky dink rink here and last time I went, it was nothing by falling children everywhere.... Kinda sad that they don't know how to skate anymore...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• We always just winged it when I was little. My girls as well. Just maybe have them put them on in the house and practice standing.... Do you have a garage? They can get some practice that way too.

I know that Iz has been going with her children. You might check with her...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I took my son to a roller skating rink. He took to it immediately and had the coach talking to us before an hour was up. The kid went to the National completions that year and placed 4th. My DD did not take to it or have an interest until she was in middle school. I still do not skate well.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Not even my almost 13 year old has been on roller skates :/

I don't think we HAVE a rink around here. I know there's an ice skating rink, but I have no idea about roller skate.

We haven't gone to ice skating, either. We just don't have the money to.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• We have a lot of long, open sidewalks here, and the kid like to skate on them. It looks fun. I think my daughter would love it; the kids about six to nine or ten seem to. It's something to look into. I'm just a little uneducated on where to start, since as a blind kid, sidewalk skating was one thing my parents didn't let me participate in.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2013