The legacy of the Satanic Panic

The Ongoing Ugly Legacy of the Satanic Panics

There are still people all over the country imprisoned on false accusations of Satanism, levelled by Christian zealouts and unscrupulous psychologists who encouraged children to invent false stories of torture and rape.  The article tells of 4 more women who were accused, not because they had anything to do with the occult at all, but because they were lesbians, and were only this month released from prison.  It's been 30 years - longer than many of the moms on this site have been alive.

What, if anything, should be done to the churches, psychologists and individuals responsible for these people having their lives stolen?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I don't think there is anything that would make up for those lost years. It's the same situation for many that are falsely imprisoned.... Very sad. Their lives are ruined.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I have some lovely ideas as to what should happen to the people who ruined the lives of others like this, but I won't go into detail in case people get offended easily.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Wow. Its hard to believe there are christians that are aware of such things, and worse those that are directly responsible for those jailed and can still look in the mirror.
    I dont think there will ever be a time of peace....a time without moral panic rising from the two sided mouths of these christians. Where are the churchs rising up against these horrible incidents? Where are the churcjs helping to fight to get these innocent people out of jail? Silence=acceptance and agreement in cases like this.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Imprisoned to me implies the government had control over the situation.
    Thirty years ago a great many things were considered wrong and/ or against the law.
    I can not use the moral standards of today to judge what has happened many years past.
    There is nothing that can make up for the lost time and pain of imprisonment.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Thirty years ago a great many things were considered wrong and/ or against the law.

This isn't a law change, it's a perjury issue.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Isn't it a crime to encourage someone to perjure themselves? Or filing a false police report? Certainly the conspiratorial lies amount to some sort of crime.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 2:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• I am more concerned about US citizens and save my moral outrage for them.  Are these not the people we should be protecting first?  Not because of their religious affiliation but because they are out citizens/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/25/world/meast/iran-american-pastor-saeed-abedini/index.html?eref=rss_mostpopular

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2013