Can parents spoil a newborn?

Just reading this article... babies can start to manipulate parents at 6 months??

http://www.wdam.com/story/24145055/can-parents-spoil-a-newborn

Thoughts?  It's okay for grandparents to still spoil them at any age, right??!

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 5:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• yOU CAN NOT SPOIL A CHILD BEFORE THEY ARE 6 MONTHS OF AGE BUT EVEN NEWBORNS ARE CREATURES OF INSTINCT AND THEY INSTINCTIVELY KNOW HOW TO GET WHAT IS NEEDED. tHIS IS NOT SPOILING OR MANIPULATION, JUST SURVIVAL. aFTER ABOUT 6 MONTHS BABIES CAN LEARN TO MANILPULATE WHICH IS NOT SURVIVAL ORIENTED, SUCH AS REFUSING TO SLEEP IN THEIR OWN BED.

gRANDPARENTS ARE REQUIRED TO SPOIL GRANDCHILDREN. i THINK IT IS A LAW SOMEWHERE.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• The doc quoted in the article goes to the top of the list of "docs to avoid." She's just shooting her mouth off with NO research to back it up. And coal in the stockings of the CNN team for just parroting back without having done any extra legwork.

You CANNOT spoil a newborn. A newborn's wants are nothing more than the child's NEEDS, and touch is a human need as much as food and water.

Toys and candy are not NEEDS. I've never noticed a newborn crying for either of those.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• A newborn no. It depends on it's parents for survival. It is not capable of manipulation. Now six months...maybe, but still I don't see it as manipulation. Grandparents definitely get a free pass to spoil them.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• before about a year old...I don't think so...
    especially not a newborn
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I don't think so, newborns need all that attention!

Answer by older at 6:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• A newborn soaks up attention like a plant soaks up sunshine. When a toddler gets old enough to manipulate an adult, the adult knows it, I think. It's different. A newborn just takes it in, naturally, the way it's supposed to be.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• No absolutely not.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Yep. You know those selfish, self absorbed newborns. It's all 'me, me, me!'

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• Sorry about the caps lock
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• "gRANDPARENTS ARE REQUIRED TO SPOIL GRANDCHILDREN. i THINK IT IS A LAW SOMEWHERE."

And if it isn't, it should be.

Babies require that attention in order to thrive. A baby who has only his basic needs met (food, clean diaper, warm enough) but no cuddles, no quick response to cryings will fail to thrive. And that has been documented.

Gradually, you can teach a little one to wait when the need isn't urgent AND you are with them. With time and patience on the parent's part, the child learns to be patient, too.

Children learn to manipulate the first time it works. How old are they when that happens? It varies from child to child, but by the time you actually see it, it's been happening for a little while. ;)
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2013