How do I take the bottle away...?

DH and I both feel that our DD has had the bottle FAR too long (she is 16 months old), she only gets it at bed time...and its the only way we can get her to sleep in her own bed. We both decided tonight was it, she will not have it anymore. He thinks we should give her a cup instead, but I say if we are taking it away we are taking EVERYTHING away...she will have nothing in bed with her. What do you think?
Also how is a good way to get her to bed now?

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 11:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try giving her warm milk right before bedtime, maybe hold her in your arms and rock her and let her drink (opt for a sippy cup with a softer mouthpiece. like the nuby brand ones with the soft plastic, they are like 2$ at walmart) and when shes just about to be done have her binkie (if she has one) ready to make the switch and lay her in bed. Or maybe try still giving her the warm milk before bedtime, then lay her in bed with a book or something to help her fall asleep.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• do it cold turkey..she'll be a screamer for a couple of nights, but everything will be fine after that.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• develop a bedtime routine of having a snack and some juice in a sippy cup while having a bedtime story. lay her down with a soothing cd and a night light. might be touch and go for a bit but after a week she should be fine and be looking for that comfort of the bedtime routine.
    Also having a bedtime snack fends off hunger and they don't wake as early!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:17 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• We used to give a little snack of food and milk about an hour before bed...then brush teeth.

I agree to take it all away cold turkey and be DONE with it.

Don't change the rest of your routine too much...not at all would be better. Keep things as normal as you can with the exception of the bottle (or cup) going to bed.

Better do it now rather than later when it's only going to be harder...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:26 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• We do a sippy cup with water at night. Goodness knows *I* like a drink of water before bed, and maybe when I wake up in the wee hours, so I can't see not making that available for her.

Just rememer, like the person above said, the longer you wait (whatever you decide) the harder it is, and the more they resist. At some point in time, you are going to have to do it, so you might as well bite the bullet now.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• well i would give you my opinion but it is feb 20th in the morning... so how did it go??
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:55 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Give it to her in a sippy cup. There are ones with clear soft spouts that feel a lot like a bottle's nipple. If she really needs/wants it she will drink it from there. Do not give her the option of a bottle. Keep giving it to her in the cup. If she gets thirsty enough she will drink it.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 11:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2009