Question about taxes and being under the age of 25...

My mom knows how to file taxes, and when filing our taxes it asked a question about earned income asking if you were over the age of 25 last year..The answer would be no for us, then it says if you check no then you are not elgible..so basically because were under the age of 25 we would lose almost 3,000 of our earned income..Does any one know about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• im not really sure what youre talking about. im also under 25 but i dont file my own taxes, i have them done. ive always gotten money back. i think its also different if you have children but again im not sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Are you talking about Earned Income Credit? Tons of info on the IRS website.

http://apps.irs.gov/app/eitc2008/ShowEligibilityTips.do

Answer by gdiamante at 12:44 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You would not "lose" any of your earned income...you must be wondering about the earned income tax credit which there are all sorts of stipulations on, not just your age. You basically have to make between a said amount of gross income and qualify based on your age and dependents. I would go to IRS.gov. ???? Hope that helps, I am not quite sure what happened?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:26 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If you are under 25 yo But you have a child, AND you fall inside the income level you CAN receive EIC. But if you are over 25 and without a qual. child, AND fall inside the income level you can qual for EIC.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:06 AM on Feb. 20, 2009