Watching CNN Heroes. Have you really read up on Female Genital Mutilation? adult content

I've heard about it and knew that it was done, but really was off in my thoughts of how it was performed, or the different types. Have you or did you know all about it??

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 10:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep... Unfortunately in my biz it's something we hear about a LOT.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2013

• I watched a documentary about it a few years ago, specifically the ones done in Africa. It is horrible!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I became aware of it, believe it or not, from reading an article in Cosmopolitan magazine a decade ago. What a horrible act. Some obviously uniformed ladies in the MC group have compared it to male circumcision. Utter nonsense! This crime against women only harms them, taking away their God-given ability to enjoy sex, putting them at risk for infection, and causing the need for future surgeries.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Yes, and it's horrible!!!!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

• I have, to some extent, and it is enough to turn my stomach. It is routinely done on very small girls in unsanitary conditions with razor blades and pieces of broken glass--in this day and age. Absolutely appalling.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2013

HHx5 Answer by HHx5 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2013
    **********************
    I read about them many years ago too and had to laugh when some uninformed Moms in groups tried to say that it compares to baby boy's circumcision. Female circumcision is so horrible it makes me feel queasy thinking about it.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• I studied it in college and have worked with women who have had this done to them. I assisted in the psychological and relationship issues that come after.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Dec. 8, 2013