Do you think this sheriff was right?

I can't post a link on mobile but I'm sure it's easily found. Saw a story on the news about a sheriff in South Carolina who refused to lower the flag at his station to half staff in honor of Nelson Mandela even after the executive order from Obama.

He actually did go on camera stating that he has nothing against Mandela and feels that he should be honored but that the American flag should be reserved for those who fought and served for the US.

I'm not sure I would have taken it that far, but I do kinda feel like he has a point. What do you think?

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 8, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• At first glance, Mae, I could kind of minimally see his point, although I have a deep respect for Mandela and would have lowered the flag to half mast because I believe his words and deeds crossed all boundaries of nationality and race. But upon thinking a litte deeper, I fully agree with Anon. He should have followed the President's orders. If the sheriff wanted to keep the flag high on his own property, that would have been his right.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• I suspect a lot of people have no idea it's even been called for, which makes driving around today a bit disturbing. Flag up, flag at half, two flags up, 3 at half, one up, more at half. It gives the impression that all of those businesses and homes are racist, and maybe some are, but it's more likely they didn't even hear about it - especially the places closed on Sunday.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• His views have nothing to do with his job. Lowering the flag is part of his job. If he does not want to do it at his house for that reason. He does not have to.

Answer by louise2 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• No. As a SC resident in this county I think he is ridiculous. First, he is doing this to secure votes in our area. Most of this area is rural and Tea Party. Which means racist, homophobic and buy into all the stereotypes. A good portion of residents feel Mandela was a terrorist and site how he murdered innocent people and children. This is simply a political move. I honestly do not think he is worth my vote next election time. The flag can be lowered for foreign leaders and dignitaries at the request of the President. To say it should only be lowered for Americans is not what is actually law. There are many reasons it can be lowered. It is disgraceful and look...he has made a national name for himself. Too bad he is made himself a national asshole. He is a racist ass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Wow, great perspective! Good to hear the other side of it.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Our other county offices are rolling their eyes and complying with the request. Those people may not like Mandela, some probably do share those views, but are not willing to make a political stink about it. Clark was recently elected so quite frankly we have three more years of stunts. He is taking his cues from Spartanburg County Sheriff who made a national ass of himself with gun issues. There is a trend here in the Upstate to try and make yourself a national name. Quite frankly domestic violence is a huge issue. SC is number one in the nation for domestic violence. What does he say about that? Especially since the upstate leads in murders due to domestic violence? Nothing. He pays lip service to how sad it is. But yet he is so concerned about the violence in South Africa due to, per his constitutes way of thinking, this traitor to his country and causing a war. This guy Clark is an ass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 8, 2013

• He has no business making that call. Hes obviously an arrogant ass.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Sorry, hit the Send Button too soon. He was thumping his chest to get on TV.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• I'm surprised that people didn't know it had been called for, NotPanicking, because even here in Europe we had heard about it ...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• I'll be the odd man out here because I don't think that it should be lowered. (I also didn't hear about it until I read this.)I remember not to many years ago where it seemed the flag was flown more at half mast then it was all the way up. I think the flag stands for America and shouldn't be lowered for those that are not American. I agree that Mandella was a great man and stood for a lot of good but in my mind that's a lot of people that the flag was never lowered for Margaret Thatcher being one of them.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2013