Advice needed if you have outside cats

My mom has an outside cat that comes in & stays in their garage in the eves & on cold days. They also have an inside cat (the reason the outside cat can't come in) They left for their trip on Friday & when I went to take care of the cats yesterday, the outside kitty was no where to be found. I put food out for him & went back this morning- still no kitty. We are supposed to get freezing rain this eve., so I'm making another trip out there this afternoon to see if he's nearby & I can get him in. I can't leave doors open for him since they're out of town. I'm so worried this cat will stay gone the whole time they're gone & I will have to lie to my mom if she asks about him. How long will outside cats stay away? Keep in mind it's pretty cold here.

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2013 in Pets

• My experience with outdoor cats is they find the warmest spot in twenty miles and curl up. He's probably fine and will come home when he's hungry
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2013

• They can stay gone for quite some time if they're typically outside. Of course, outdoor cats have an inherently dangerous life so he may be injured or ill. It's probably good that you are planning on going back to see if you can find him.

As for your mother, I don't know that I'd lie to her. People who leave cats outside permanently need to understand the risks involved.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 11:20 AM on Dec. 8, 2013

• I have three cats and only one comes in to sleep, the other two live outside and rarely leave and if they do they come back. But in that kind of weather maybe he did find a warm spot and will come back when he is hungry. Good luck finding him!

Answer by older at 12:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• On of our cats wanders everywhere, she was a stray we adopted, and she just won't stay inside, she has been gone as long as a week, I wouldn't worry too much, she most likely has another "home" she visits as well. Don't worry too much!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• When you have a pet that is left to roam the neighborhood you have to understand that technically it is not "your" pet since it lives the life of a stray. That is not meant to be mean but its true. Anything could have happened to the cat. Including someone taking in the cute stray cat home and giving it a place to live. I live in a place where if you feed a stray, its yours. So someone else might have fed the cat and gave it a home.
    AliKatAK47

Answer by AliKatAK47 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Cats are extremely resourceful creatures. He'll have found a nice cosy spot and easy food and will be taking advantage of it all :) All of our cats have been outdoor cats some of whom deigned to sleep in the house, others not , but all of them wandering in and out pretty much at will. One of them really had me worried. She stopped eating. I mean she wouldn't even touch Sheba for goodness sake! Then I found out that a little old lady three houses along the street was giving her chicken breasts ...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Brawn- this cat used to belong to a friend of hers. The friend became sick & had to move. The friend made it an outside cat & my mom did not want it ending up in a shelter & since she lives in the country, she's made it quite comfortable for the past few years. I don't want to spoil her trip by making her worry about this cat. She'd do the same for me if something happened to my dog while I was away.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2013

• ^^^ I sure hope you're right Nimue
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2013

• ^^I'm trying not to worry, but that's easier said than done. If he doesn't come back by Friday, I'm spending the night there Friday nite, so I can keep the side door to the garage open for him. Once I get him back in, he's not leaving that garage again til they get back!
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2013