asked a few mins ago but im really worried and want to hear some stories and get some advcie plz

ok im 39 weeks due in 4 days
i went to l&d last night for contractions
they were 4 to 5 mins apart so they had me walk around
and it did not do much
well i had a doc appt today
and im not even dilated he says im softing a little bit
and is suprised that the contractions arnt doing anything
iv been having contractions since the 14th
i have another appt on my due date
he says if nothing has happend then we will talk about inducing
well iv been walking alot and im hoping it dose something
cuz iv heard alot of girl that have gotten induced at my hospital end up gettting a c-section
so im very worried
my doc also says it seems like everything is ready to go and my body just aint doing anything
has this ever happend to anyone
if so did u end up getting induced or wut happend?????

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Umm, many women labor for a couple days to a week before they go into active labor. Your doctor wanting to induce you is a bad sign, seeing as how more than half of all inductions fail. If your pregnancy is healthy, baby is healthy, etc, then there is no reason to induce. Due dates are just an estimate and could be wrong. You are also not over due until 42 weeks.

Your body is doing something, but your baby may not be ready to be born yet. It could take a few more days, etc before anything happens.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I walked a ton to go into labor, I was 1cm dialated for 3 weeks lol. So I was trying hard to go into labor. A few days before my due date I took a walk that was so long it made me loose my mucous plug. I kept walking and nothing, I was having contrations but didnt notice til I went to the hospital(the day I was induced). But my body just wouldnt go past 1cm. Well on my due date my doc scheduled an induction and thats what "my" body needed. I was in labor for only 9 hours and had my daughter vaginally. My body just needed the push to get past 1cm, after I was at a 3 my body didnt need the pitocine anymore so I got to do it on my own after that.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• your due date could be wrong.My dr told me it could be 2wks before or 2wks after the EDD.Maybe thats what it is and thats why your not dilating but are having contractions.
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• um not to go up against a pro but um "ur body just isnt doind anything"??!!?? im sorry to tell u this dear but ur body is doing a bunch. I was dilated 2 cm for weeks. Contractions off and on. Is this ur first one?? Normally first pregnancies take longer in many ways. I personnally would NOT recommend inducing. YIKES!! Let ur body do what it needs to do. Dont be afraid to speak up. After all ur the mama. I would recommend maybe finding a midwife... if not now bc of short notice but for the next. Remember ur goal is for a happy birth!! not a miserable one. Prayers and hugs ur way!! Alisha
    EZsmom422

Answer by EZsmom422 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I was induced for the same reason my body was not ready even though my son was just busting to get out! I was at the Dr every day the last week for stress test and he was in position and heart rate slowing. This was almost 16 years ago and things change and every birth experience is different but I did not end up having a c-section. I was in labor for 27 hours progressing very slowly but kept telling the nurse I would only do a c-section as absolute last resort because she kept asking if I wanted to do that to get it over with faster. As I said every birth is different so take others experiences as what could happen, not what always happens.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• OH LORD BEGING INDUCED IS NOT A BAD THING!!! I was induced and as long as you're healthly and no problems with your pregnancy you'll be fine! i was induced but because I had high blood pressure i had a problem & they needed to take my son anyway he didnt have fluid around him!!! Not all women that are induced have c-sections... if you trust your doctor do what he thinks is best!!!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I was induced and it didnt end in a c-section..I agree its not a bad thing.Sometimes mother nature needs a push(like i said before)It DOESNT make you a bad person and if thats what is needed then it'll be okay.If you want to know all about what they do to induce you i'll tell you.Its not as bad as people are making it!
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Oh god. With a healthy normal pregnancy inductions pose a GREATER risk then allowing nature take it's course. Seriously, do people not research anything about pregnancy and childbirth anymore? No wonder the infant mortality rate, and c/s rate in this country are so high!

She has ZERO reason to be induced. Her body "not working" is utter bullshit. She isn't even overdue yet.

Facts are facts. Induction increase your c/s risk by over 50 percent. Glad that you didn't have one but over half of all inductions FAIL.

I was induced as well, with my daughter, and although it wasn't as bad as many inductions it is NOT an option ever again.. I even had a "medical" reason for it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:17 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i was also induced. from the time they broke my water to the birth of my son was four hours. we had no problems. its totally your choice, you can be induced or you can wait it out a little longer.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Relax. It's still early and you seem to be right on target with what you're experiencing.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2009