Please help. My 21 month old will only eat baby food. if I offer him cheerios etc he just throws it at me and won't put it in his mouth. He won't even chew some stage 3 baby food. Any advice

he isn't talking much either but seems healthy and active in n every other way

SUSYCA

Asked by SUSYCA at 11:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Dont give him a choice, I know it sounds mean but when he gets hungry he will eat
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Hes almost 2 why the heck is your toddler eating baby food?
    Anonymous

• For one ur the mama girl!! Ur letting him run the show! For two just bc u let him eat baby food stage 3 if it is ur not lazy. The way the media is makes u think u need to. I fell for it and u wont be the last. He will def get hungry enough to eat what u give. Does he have all his teeth?? Does it hurt to chew? He has a normal digestive system right? Anywho if everything is fine and he is healthy just stand ur ground!!
    EZsmom422

Answer by EZsmom422 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Dont let him have that choice. My son is the same age and has been eating table food, no baby food for about a year. Stage 3 is gross, most kids wont have anything to do with it. If he's hungry he'll eat real food.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• keep trying. A child needs to see something twenty times before it becomes familiar to them and they may try it. and do YOu eat (what?) in front of your child???
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My son did the same thing...My 4th child that is. Its fine and its not going to hurt them. It might be more expensive for you to buy but its not unhealthy at all. My son didnt like regular food and he did not like textures in his mouth. Anything that wasnt baby food consistency, he wouldn't eat. Its not worth the fight and it doesnt matter. They usually get the hang of it if you keep trying. I don't see the point of making him eat table food when he doesnt want to. Pick your battles. Make sure you fix food that he can eat and he watches you eat. After that, its just a matter of time. A lot of babies dont mature as fast as others. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• at 21 months your baby can eat a less spice version of your own food.. my son is 7 months old and eats bits and pieces of what we eat.. but i will say this, that in one of my baby books it says some kids even almost 2 year olds will prefer a pureed diet.. not because of laziness but because of something called texture adversion but you could try and chop up some of your own food and give
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Mine is picky too. He is 19 months old, and its been a very hard transition from baby food to table food. What has worked somewhat is offering him some similar items such as the flavored packets of instant oatmeal. My son loves that. Its very much like baby food

Will he try things from your plate? I found that he started liking certain foods when he tasted them from my plate.

My son still wants the gerber stage 2 & 3 fruits & cereals. I can't get him to eat very many table foods. He won't even try some most of them. He inspects his food for colors and textures. I have to hide the baby food veggies under the fruit to get him to eat his veggies. Just keep being creative. I think one mom even said don't give him a choice. Sometimes you may have to do that.
    SherryMalcom

Answer by SherryMalcom at 1:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Well first off, I would ignore the FIRST and SECOND answer because those answers are from the same person and they are just being plain mean. You don't need criticism when you're doing the best you can....you just need advice. You're the mom and only you can decide what's best for your child, so if it means he will only eat baby food, then just let it be and eventually he will eat normal food.
    srozoni

Answer by srozoni at 2:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2009