Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Almost 25 and I still live at home

I feel like a loser. I have a little girl and I was just laid off last month. I've never had my own place. My parents want me gone. My daughter father does not help. I want to go back to school but I always have child care issues. I have an associate's degree but I want to further it. I will turn 25 in 2 months and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. Have any of you lived at home past the age you should have?
No I'm not lazy, I've had jobs but they never work out. I'm about to start a part time job but I can't get a place with what I will be making.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2013 in Relationships

Answers (20)
  • Time to take the father to court for child support!
    Times are a lot tougher today than when I was younger.
    But, my parents escorted us out the door at the age of 18, whether we had a place to live or not!
    My car was home for 3 months before I had saved enough money to rent a studio apt.

    Answer by KTElite at 6:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

  • I'm going to put him on child support but he won't pay it. He is a selfish jerk. I think the only reason they haven't put me out is because of my daughter. I'm trying to get some kind of low income housing but the waiting list are 2 and 3 years old. I'm praying something comes through for me next year. A better paying full time job or something! It's hard these days especially being a single parent

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

  • Get on the list for housing help.
    File for SNAP benefits, for child care help, anything else you can think of to get some money coming in.
    File for child support and continue to go after him through the courts. Let him lose his driver's license, passport, etc…

    Answer by balagan_imma at 6:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

  • Why do your parents want you & your child out if you are not working? Have you been paying them rent? Do you help out around the house? B/C those are issues I have w/ my 22 y/o who still lives at home. He pays minimal rent but is a total slob. Anyway, I agree with KTE about taking you child's father to court for child support if you have not done so already. Being a single parent can open doors for you in terms of help w/ daycare.

    As to the later part of your question, I had to move back in w/ my mom when my boys' father & I split up. I used that time to go back to school & get my degree. I was in my 20's then. I am grateful to this day that my mom allowed me to do that. I hope it all works out for you. It sounds like you have ambition, so I'm sure you'll be fine. GL

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

  • When you go through the courts, his refusal to pay has serious repercussions. So file! And call 211 for social services in your area.

    Your parents' stance sounds to me like one of two things is going on: Either they are blaming you (justifiably or not) for your job losses, or they don't believe you should have kept the baby. Pretty harsh, and I'd be doing everything I could to be out from under their roof.

    Have you looked into roommate situations?

    Answer by gdiamante at 6:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

  • I have thought about a roommate but many of my friends are in relationships with no children and I don't want to room with a complete stranger

    I can't get help with daycare, there if a long waiting list for that too. I get about $60 I'm food stamps and I give that to my parents. My mother didn't want me to keep my baby and she treats my daughter like an outsider. Is really sad that's why I need to get my own because I don't like the way they treat my baby.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

  • The car that I have they made me her it when I had a job and I'm stuck with a $300 car payment. So that's where my money is going. Babysitter, car payment, gas and food. If I didn't have this damn car payment I could afford a studio or something.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

  • You do what you have to do, I guess. The relationship I had, or rather didn't have, with my mom prevented me from living at home too long. I got out as soon as I possibly could, and she made it clear she wouldn't have it any other way.

    Answer by Ballad at 6:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

  • OK, Chin up and fight ! Life is full of problems, expect them and deal with it. You have so much life ahead of you. This is just the start, not the end.

    Get logical. Facts- you are a single parent, live with mom and dad, have an education and are frustrated. It could be so much worse but it won't help feeling sorry for yourself. . Start taking small steps to make things better. If you don't do anything about it, nothing will change.

    What is the population of your city ?

    1st off apply for education loans and grants for single parents. Check into every rental , see if they need caretakers- you might be able to get rent free.

    Answer by LeJane at 7:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

  • I l Iive in Charlotte N.C
    You are right LeJane, thank you. I try not to get down and just be grateful. But my daughter has been doing me when will she get her own room and it hurts that I can't do more for her right now. I'm not a quitter though. I know I can get through this and excel. It's hard to find something in my field and in order to be in a better position for a better paying job I need to further my education.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.