How do you handle this with your x-husband?

I just talked to my son and he told me his dad just served him chips for dinner. He told me that when he asked if we have any hamburger or meat his dad told him to look for himself. He has also told me that my son eats mostly fruit in the morning. Then I find out that he served him a honey sandwich one morning last week. My son is 9 and I pride myself on teaching him to tell the truth. i know i don't always give him healthy stuff but i wouldn't let him fend for himself like that and just eat chips. Especially if he wants meat. It breaks my heart. I was going to talk to my x after I spoke to my son but I didn't want him to get mad at my son when we got off the phone. My x isn't the easiest to talk to. He's a jerk every time because he doesn't think he does anything right. So how do you mom's deal with this? Maybe after my son goes to school tomorrow i will send him a text. It sucks that I don't feel like I can defend my son. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2013 in Relationships

• Your son isn't getting adequate food. You can't let that go on, especially if he stays with your ex for days at a time. This needs to be faced head-on. Tell your ex he needs to feed his child meat, fruit, grains, vegetables, milk, etc.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• That's hard. If you say something. He might be mad at your son for saying something.
    Maybe try to get your son to speak up for himself when he is over their.

Answer by louise2 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Send him with a bag of healthy snacks.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Get your son home. Document. And then time to revisit the visitation. Dad obviously isn't mature enough to be unsupervised if he's not feeding his son.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Do you think this is a matter of not enough food in the house or his dad being lazy? If it's the former, call CPS and ask to remain anonymous. If it's a matter of the ex not cooking, I'm not sure you could do anything about that. Ask an attorney. I agree with sending healthy snacks. How long is ex's visitation? Whenever my ex and I discuss anything, I choose my words carefully as to not put him on the defensive. But then again, he's my ex for a reason. He's a jerk no matter how sincere an attempt I make about voicing a concern. Perhaps you could bring this up by email or text so you'll have his response documented.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Does he live with his father or just goes there for visits?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• My son just goes there for visits. His dad has him every wednesday to thursday, every other tuesday to thursday and every other saturday to monday. That's all on his terms. He doesn't take him as often as the court says so I already have to if I need it. I think it's just his dad being lazy. He never cooks for him. My son said that he was given chips and when he asked if he had any meat his dad said aidan you know where the food is fix something yourself. I will be sending healthy snacks with him. I have to choose my words wisely too even over email. I get yelled at if I don't say please and thank you so imagine if I were to bring anything up more serious. I'm going to start documenting things and text so I don't have to talk to him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• ask im why he feed your son chips. i would be mad as well
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Teach your son to speak up say Dad Im hungry!
    sunnysideup89

Answer by sunnysideup89 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2013