Son has alopecia- :(

My 25 year old song has alopeachea. His hair has stared to fall out before and it had come back. Now, it fell out again and doesn't seem to stop. There's literally big empty holes in his hair and he colors them in every morning with a thick makeup pencil.
My heart breaks every time I look at him. He doesn't want to just shave it bald because he has no eyebrows or eye lashes either.

Any camouflage solutions?
Anybody else have stories they could relate to? Or help me with.

Ps. He has already tried injections and almost every medical solution out there.

Thank you :(

Miszross

Asked by Miszross at 8:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2013 in Health

• A man can get away with a bald head way easier than a woman. Some men look really good with a bald head. I don't have any solutions for the eyelashes or brows though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Hat or shave it. Sounds like not much else HE can do.

Answer by louise2 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• I agree with Quinn. I know women who are wildly attracted to bald guys! Is there an online support group? As for trying to cover it, I would think theater people would have good ideas or cancer support groups who deal with hair loss? Honestly, I think I'd encourage him to just shave it. No big deal about the eyebrows and lashes. My co-worker has lived with chemo for years and I never notice that his brows/lashes are gone. Worst case, lots of false lash places around now. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Tell your son to look on YouTube. I have a friend whose mom lost one eyebrow in a car accident because she had to have skin grafted on her forehead and an eyebrow never grew there. She learned to paint on that eyebrow so well from a YouTube tutorial you can't tell it isn't real, so the only time she ever got looks at all was once when she went someplace with her daughter and she had forgotten to paint it on. Your son could do that, too.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Shave it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• My mom has alopecia universalis, so she has almost no hair anywhere on her body. I remember going to doc appts with her before it got really bad and she was getting steroid injections into her scalp. She squeezed my hand so tight it hurt! After about 13 years more of the hair started falling out and when I was 17 I came home one day to find she had shaved the rest of it off. Talk about a shock. As much as it pained me to see her going through something so difficult I just tried to be as supportive as possible. When we went wig shopping we tried to laugh and have a good time, I send her photos of awesome head tattoos, and get her warm fuzzy hats to wear to bed (her head gets sooo cold). Now she had a HUGE collections of bandanas (she is loving known as Nana Bandana by my kids) and after years of practice and coming to terms has accepted this. She draws on her eyebrows and uses eyeliner everyday.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 9:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• She is also careful about the lotions she uses. People don't realize how much the hair on your body helps keep you warm or cool until it's gone. All you can do for you son right now is be supportive and listen when he needs to let out his frustrations. I wish the two of you the best of luck.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 9:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• My hubby said, embrace the baldness, shave the hair down, military style or shave it all off. His friend has it and started going bald in his 20s. I think it's hereditary, right?

And as always ... research research research.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2013