If you have linoleum in your home, how do you care for it?

I use a bona mop with bona linoleum cleaner on it and just now scrubbing on my hands and knees with water and a rag, the rag is turning black. So it's obviously doing a terrible job. Do I just need a regular mop and water? A scrub brush for the cracks? (It's raised in design)

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 9:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2013 in Home & Garden

• When I need to really clean the floor, I use a Mr. CLean Magic Eraser mop. It gets the grooves too. And then I follow it up with Mop N Glo, which helps keep dirt from settling into all the grooves.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• That is that cheap stuff right? I just used a regular mop and water, dish soap and bleach.

Answer by louise2 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• I use a Libman Wonder Mop and a mix of Dawn and Vinegar

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Murphey's Oil
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 10:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• A Bona mop is like 50 dollars... The cleaner isn't cheap either.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• I've seen Bona mops, but only for hardwood floors. The Mr. Clean mops aren't very pricey. Nor are the Libmans.

Another thing we've done, before the Magic Eraser mops were invented, is use my mom's old floor buffer. It's got two rotating brushes. Dates back to the 50s, I think.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• I just Swiffer it, sweep it, throw a steam mop on it every week or so, and mop it with a bucket and Lysol once in a while. But it's been a long time since I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed, like I'm pretty dang sure that hasn't happened since I bought this place six years and two months ago. And I couldn't see if the water turned black even if I did scrub like that, so maybe I would have reason to be embarrassed and be blissfully obvlivious instead. Still, I have to say, that steam mop is the best money I ever parted with. Get yourself one. It doesn't eliminate the need for deep cleaning, but it sure makes you have to do it less often!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• Usually I just swiffer wet jet it. Occasionally I'll get down with a rag and bucket of hot water and Lysol, but our linoleum-ed area isn't very big. There are no grooves in ours.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• The bona mop has a seperate cleaner for linoleum. It is just a microfiber pad on a stick.

I had a steam mop but gave it away because we have oak floors in the rest of the house. Didn't think about keeping it for the kitchen.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Swifter Wet Jet ... it's not a very big space. I don't put a lot of effort into it.

I have, when I didn't have batteries for the swifter, tossed some clorox wipes on the floor and "skated". No kidding.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:38 AM on Dec. 9, 2013