• In the Spotlight:

10 year old suspended for imaginary bow and arrow

Yes, really. Here's the letter the attorney sent to the school dist:

https://www.rutherford.org/files_images/general/12-04-13_Johnny-Jones_Letter.pdf

Anyone else about out of faith in humanity?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm almost afraid to send my kids to school because they might commit some imaginary infraction and get kicked out for pretending to do something. All the while the schools hands are tied and they are powerless to kick a student out for bullying. WTF?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 9:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• When they can show me that an imaginary bow and arrow can hurt someone (or that a pop tart shaped like a gun can shoot), I'll stand behind decisions like this. Until then, I'll stand by my thought that people are just completely lacking in common sense when it comes to this stuff anymore.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:59 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• "All the while the schools hands are tied and they are powerless to kick a student out for bullying"

THIS is what gets me. School administration will overreach with regard to "perceived" threats (which is another argument in itself) but it's like pulling teeth to get them to handle real threats of harm. And the procedure for handling bullies seems to be so convoluted and extensive (talk, note, meeting, talk, counselors, talk, meeting) while a pretend bow and arrow and gun is insta-suspension.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 10:01 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• What happened to the boy who had the "pretend" finger gun? As long as there are boys and girls on the earth, there will be pretend play. If we are going with "real" weapons, wouldn't the gun do more harm than the bow and arrow, oh yeah wait, none of it was real.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Zero tolerance policies are ridiculous and don't work! I agree with Brawn that shit like this is an automatic suspension, yet bullies get away with actual physical violence with maybe a slap on the wrist. It is so fucking stupid and pisses me off!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Oh for FS!!!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• If stupid were illegal, there would be plenty of room on the outside for those of us with reasonably functional brains.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• I drill it into my daughter's head whenever I come upon her playing imaginary gun stuff at home, which I don't necessarily discourage because I don't think it will turn her into a psycho violent mass murderer, we all did it. But I tell her, that stuff is for home, never, ever for school or at anybody else's house. Some people think talking about guns is inappropriate. It's sad that I have to do that, but the world is the way it is.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Seriously? Are kids really just supposed to sit on their hands and stare into space all day? As long as there are children, there will always be imagination. That's what is so great about being a child..... So, we are taking all their creativity and imagination away...

Does anyone else see our country becoming a bunch of robots?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2013