Going to start "Junior chef night" in our house once a week- things my 6 year old can help cook for dinner.... But need suggestions on easy things he can cook!

My 6 year old son has seen a couple episode of Masterchef Junior and now is determined to learn how to cook. He is very excited about it and I thought it would be fun to have him cook dinner (with my help of course) one night a week. He sometimes helps me with things I am making but wanted to make it more of his own dinner and his work more than mine... I can't think of many easy things he can assist with besides spaghetti and sloppy joes... Any ideas on easy kid friendly dinners we can all enjoy???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• he can tear up salad, make pigs in blankets, hashbrown casserole is easy, muffin pizzas (or french bread) , pocket sandwiches in the sandwich maker ( my boys loved putting almost any leftover into bread in the sandwich maker, meatloaf, chicken divan, spaghetti...it all made sandwiches if leftover.I know there are more, my boys used to love to help in the kitchen.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• home made pizza
    can make dough
    and can even cut some things up that do not require a sharp knife..mushrooms, black olives
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:17 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Kids can easily help put together burritos or tacos or put the filling into enchiladas. They can scramble eggs or squish up meatloaf or help make French toast. My five-year-old daughter enjoys doing these things.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2013

• They have kid cookbooks. Might be a fun Santa gift?

Answer by missanc at 12:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Tons of ideas here!! Let him help or do some of the research too, even help with a shopping list!!
    This is a great real life educational activity ;o)

http://www.simplebites.net/easy-recipes-that-kids-can-cook/

http://www.kidspot.com.au/best-recipes/Kids-cooking+5.htm

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/yourkids/kids-can-cook/kids-can-cook.aspx

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Kids can help with any recipe really. There is always something they are capable of doing. Whether it is grating the cheese, reading the recipe, cracking eggs, layering the casserole or stirring.
    Anonymous

• I started my kids out with Breakfast. First they learned how to make toast and waffles. Then we worked up to mixing up a breakfast casserole. After they learned about casseroles for breakfast we spent some time reading my casserole book with lots of pictures. We spent a lot of time looking at pictures and reading what went into a recipe. I let them choose ones that they thought they would like and could do on their own. My SS insisted that he wanted to make a Spaghetti Pie. (The kind with the spaghetti making the crust and the sauce, sausage and cheese in the middle) He loved doing it and made it often. He is an adult now and has improved the recipe by using his own sauce now.
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 4:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Tacos, chili dogs, pizza? Great question!
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 6:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2013