I need a little help please.

The company adopts families for Christmas and DH's section usually teams with another. Short notice is a mom who ended up in the hospital and with her job if you don't work you don't get paid so money is very tight because of the 6 days in the hospital and the lack of paycheck. She has taken in 2 children on top of her own. It appears that all have clothes and bedding, But the usual food and utilities and school supplies are needed. So she has a 8 year old (taken in) and all I have is that she is all girl.

I am a little at a loss. I am thinking maybe a jewelry making kit? Fingernail polish?
Do you have any ideas?
Also mom has not listed anything for herself ( I know food and utilities take away some worry) but can you think of something small for her under the tree?
She will be pulling double shifts to help increase the money she has for bills and she is a caregiver.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 12:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2013 in Holidays

• Rainbow Loom is HUGE for both girls and boys that age. Most of the kids in each of their classes loves making these bracelets out of rubber bands. They run around $16 at Michaels and comes with some bands and connectors. You can also buy bags of bands to make more, but the basic kit is a really nice start.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• I was going to say Rainbow Loom too...but only because we sell them!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• For the girl: Hair items - barrettes, pony tail holders, head bands. One year, I found a trinket box that my daughter could decorate herself (it was a kit). She loved that. American Girl has books about the historical girls. Maybe a book to read.

For the mom: if you live where it's necessary - maybe a matching set of scarf, hat, gloves or a pretty sweater, depending on your budget, of course.

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• The Monster High Fashion Dolls are really big for girls right now and not to expensive. Girls also like pretty scarves and things for their hair. Mom would like a scarf or gloves, maybe a nice purse or something for the bath or shower. Or some chocoates, maybe a pedicure set.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Or the mom might like a nice warm throw blanket. There are cute scrapbooking kits for girls. Sorry if I'm not writing at my best. I just came off the nebulizer. It makes my head a bit goofy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• I agree with the Rainbow Loom, Monster High Dolls, hair accessories, nail polish. For Mom, maybe a gift card so she can buy what she needs like new boots or a coat.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• I second the Rainbow Loom. They're huge right now, not terribly expensive and the kids seem to really love them. The only thing I can add is that some parents are uncomfortable with the Monster High Dolls so unless you know mom won't be I'd exercise caution.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 1:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• True about the Monster High dolls, I forgot some parents are sort of freako about that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Mom- stuff from bath & body works. They have a awesome line of stress relieving products. Winter candy apple also smells amazing
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 4:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• I think I am going to go with the rainbow loom and some refills. This woman has 3 teens that only asked for school supplies, the 8 year old and 2 toddlers, one she has taken in. I think this is something the teens would enjoy helping her with and she could make presents herself. Excellent idea. She would not even have been asking if it wasn't for going into the hospital. Pretty amazing woman and I know literally nothing about her, for obvious reasons.
    It just makes it harder when they do not ask for specific things. LOL.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2013