• In the Spotlight:

Is she ok to watch my daughter?

Here's the story, I'm looking for someone who lives close to watch my daughter for an hour before her bus comes for preschool and an hour after. I put up signs on the mailbox and got a call from a woman. I went to her house and it was sooo messy and sort of dirty. They've lived there for two years and it looks like they just moved in. There were stacks of stuff everywhere, a hole in the wall, it just felt really messy and sort of dirty. Not a big deal normally, but she has a nine month old. So that means a baby is crawling around in the mess. She would only be watching my daughter at my home, so do you think I should overlook the messiness? Or do you think that's an indication of her parenting skills and the care she takes in things? What do you think? I've never hired anyone to watch my daughter before, we used to live near family..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have to say trust your gut too. She may be very nice and trust worthy, but you are feeling apprehensive. You will find someone that you are more comfortable with. Maybe there is a local college student looking to pick up a couple hours of work? Is there a community college near by that has an ECE program? Don't hire someone you don't feel comfortable with.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:04 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't

sorry but if someone doesn't live up to my expectations on everything, including cleanliness, I don't let them watch my kids.
    Anonymous

• How comfortable did you feel with her as a person? You said she is going to be watching your daughter at your home so what if she had met with you there and you didn't know her house was messy?
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't either. You have to trust your instinct, I know this from experience.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i wouldnt
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:13 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If you're not comfortable, then turn her down.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Do you really have to ask?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If she is that lazy with her home that she is supposed to care about, imagine how lazy she will be with your child.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 7:34 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If I went into a home like that, my answer would be no. Because if she lets her own daughter crawl around in mess, then what would it be like for your child. Would she have to be in messiness too. I bet she isn't used to that kind of stuff, I wonder where did the hole in the wall come from, is she married, makes you wonder if she is, could that hole in the wall be because maybe her and her husband, boyfriend, etc. figfht. No, I wouldn't send my child to someones house like that because of the fear I would have.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 7:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If you have to question it then I would say big heck no
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 7:50 AM on Feb. 20, 2009