I can't make sense of this

I send my 4 year old to a preschool located in a church I used to attend. Apparently a parent approached the director and said her child would not be returning because she was taught the story of creation and they are Athiest. They are dropping the child off at a church and Christian education is clearly listed in the curriculum provided at registration. The children have chapel weekly. What confuses me is why they would send the child there in the first place. This school accepts anyone Christian or not. If it's something they feel so strongly about why would they send her there.

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 2:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Oh good lord!! They are at a CHURCH!! What the fuck did they expect?

I swear, I am beginning to believe "Idiocracy" was a damn prophecy!! 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

• It would come down to the sales pitch they were given when they enrolled. It's not unheard of for church daycares to undersell their religious ed to ensure they have full enrollment, then "forget" later. Some do stick to it and don't include it, because they consider their daycare to be a social service first, religious outreach second. Others view it as the opposite.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• There's no sense to make of it. Ya can't fix stupid.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Maybe she thought that it was just IN a church,not affiliated with it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• While I agree that it should be obvious that attending a day care in a church means that there is a high likelihood of exposure to a Christian education, I don't think that such exposure is entirely detrimental to atheists.

Whether or not the family believes the Creation story isn't my argument here. And I can understand the parents not wanting a preschooler "indoctrinated". But, the child will eventually need to know the story, especially if he or she becomes a student of history/literature. Biblical allusions are an integral part of western literature and history.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• If I were going to send my kids there, I'd be doing it with the expectation that they will hear bible stories and such...
    seems SO SO obvious- don't you think?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• Well it seems there may have been some miscommunication at somepoint. Or they simply didnt realize the extent of the religious indoctrination that would be happening.
    Either way since its none of your business anyway i guess it doesnt really matter. And you dont need to make sense of it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2013

• "The school in question is a half day program while most others offer full day."

theres your answer. my 2 yo goes to a mother's day out program that is only on Tue and Thur...b/c its all we can afford. maybe this family can only afford a half day program and if this is the only one, its the only option. my DS gets Christian teaching there, which isnt that bad even tho DH and i arent Christians. we live in the Bible belt too and think its important for our kids to know the Christian basics, just so they dont stand out later in life and get bullied for it. but if i found out his school was teaching more than just the basics, getting into things that a 2 yo doesnt need to know, id pull him for the same reason as listed in your OP.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• i mean, you could easily over do the teaching of Biblical creation. one small "and anyone who doesn't believe this is wrong" or "see...evolution couldnt possibly be right" and my kid came home repeating that, and i'd be leaving too.

It doesn't even have to be a Christian to atheist issue for that to come up. Some demoninations are almost Nazi-like in their disdain for any denom that isn't their own (ala JW, Mormon and Catholics are tools of Satan who twist the scripture, etc). If it's that kind of church, anyone with any relative who is one of the "bad" denoms would probably not want their child brainwashed to consider their grandparents or cousins to be tools of Satan.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Did you get all of the story?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2013