My elf on the shelf knocked my Christmas tree down.

The kids were playing with the elf and tossed it at the Christmas tree. The cat jumped after the elf into the tree and the whole thing came tumbling down. Now I have to redo my tree. But this cat is driving me crazy. He bites on the tree, eats one of the wreaths, chews on the tinsel and plays with the blinking lights. How do I get this cat to leave the Christmas decorations alone? (I'm new at being a cat mama).

jenny3344

Asked by jenny3344 at 8:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2013 in Pets

• Spray him with water when he gets near it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• Yeah butterflyblue has the right idea! it works every time!

Answer by older at 9:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• If you fear the water may cause a short, how about a loud noise instead, just for sport?!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I'll try these suggestions today. Thx ladies.
    jenny3344

Comment by jenny3344 (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• Sounds similar to MY house on Sunday.

We have a 4-foot fake tree. So, we set up a card table, put a red fleece blanket under the tree for some festivity, and let the kids hang their ornaments. Not even an hour later the tree hit the ground. One of our three cats got curious, did his gopher impression, got his claw stuck in the blanket, got scared when hubby yelled, and CRASH!! Scared the bejeebus out of all three of them.

Luckily only two ornaments were broken, and none of them favorites. The cats have not gone near the tree since. We also did not put the blanket back on. We'll be investing in a tree skirt this weekend.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2013