Froot loops, cold pizza or eggs....

I know you shouldn't give your kids sugar cereal for breakfast before school but my teen Ds won't eat eggs or anything healthy. I'm wasting so much food. If I make eggs, oatmeal, etc he just won't eat. So is it better to give him Foot loops than nothing?

jenny3344

Asked by jenny3344 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Just Fruit Loops? No other kinds of cereal will please his buds that taste? How about OJ & toast to go with it, or would that go to waste? I guess something in his tummy would be just fine, but try to ask him if he can find an alternative on which to dine.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I so understand not wanting something to eat early in the AM. If he likes something else by all means let him eat it. If like me it is a matter of not wanting to eat right after you get up try sending a power bar or something that he can eat later in the morning between classes.
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 9:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• Grilled cheese? Fresh fruit? I went through a phase of crispbread and cream cheese ... Bacon sandwich with whole grain bread? Ham sandwich?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• My 13 yo ds can't eat anything in the mornings, it makes him feel ill. He does drink carnation breakfast essentials but that's loaded with sugar too. His lunch is at 11 and I make sure he packs a fairly nutritious one plus he eats a small meal after school and then supper so I think he's okay.

Answer by missanc at 9:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• can not do fruit loops in this house (the coloring), so i can not vote for this..lol

but mine had popcorn this am
    she is a picky eater too
    just glad when she eats something in am before school
    she is in 1st grade, they still do snack at school at 9am ish, so that helps
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I wouldn't give him sugar to start the day, I'd rather he ate leftovers from dinner or a sandwich, something that is healthy at anothe rmeal is healthy for breakfast too.

Or if he won't eat, send him with some trail mix or granola bars.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I tend to be the type that needs time to wake up before I can eat, and my kids are the same. Once we are ready to eat, some things sound more appealing than others. Generally speaking, as long as they eat, I'm not picky about what. We have sugary cereals in the house - they're not super healthy, I know, but sometimes it's just what sounds good. So we eat it. Other times we eat leftovers, or breakfast burritos, or oatmeal, or almost anything. I just try to make sure that the rest of the day is balanced enough that the sugar in the cereal is the worst part of their day, rather than the best. lol

But you could also try some other, healthier cereals. Maybe some of the Kashi or Cascadian Farms? I believe they're healthier, and maybe even organic?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• Honestly, if it comes down to a choice of either Froot Loops or nothing, let him have Froot Loops. He needs SOMETHING in his belly.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I grew up on sugary cereal before school and I turned out just fine.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• smoothies, best thing ever for a sweet tooth.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2013