Surgery as the last resort

Does anyone know anything about the Labrum? My 15 yo dd just had a cortisone shot to rule out some problem with the labrum. The doc said that if it was inflammation the cortisone shot would get rid the inflammation. Does anyone know about tendon injury? I am wondering if the cortisone is just a band aide & just camouflages the problem?? My dd has a friend who just had labrum surgery. We aren't close to this girls parents (she met this girl at church camp & txts her once in a while as they have sports as an interest).

cat4458

Asked by cat4458 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• I think cortisone is just a band aid and doesn't actually heal the injury. But it eliminates the pain and allows the injury to heal. Tendon injuries take forever to heal and then you get tendonitis. Other than that I don't know.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• As a long-term sufferer of chronic tendonitis, I can tell you that the cortisone will reduce the inflammation and help ease the pain. It doesn't just mask the problem, it really does deal with it (though you still need to give it rest). Been there, done that ... :)
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 10:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• Are you talking about cartilage or tendons? One of our regulars is more qualified to answer this question. Maybe she'll come along shortly.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• And is it the shoulder or hip?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• There is a natural ingredient that is awesome on inflamation of anything...tumeric!

Answer by older at 10:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• Hip. She has pain in the groin area. Well, I should say had. A little over a week after the cortisone shot the pain went away. The doctor is still letting her practice in basketball and play in games saying if it hurts then go by that. Well, it doesn't hurt anymore because of the cortisone shot so I am just thinking "could the labrum or tendon or whatever (they don't know for sure) be continuing to be injured more and the cortisone is just masking the pain?
    cat4458

Comment by cat4458 (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• It may have just been inflamed, so the cortisone would "cure" it, I am sure if it was serious your doctor wouldn't have her doing sports.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2013