Morning only car sick and 10 year old daughter

i am totally at a loss what to do to help my ten year old. doc not much help either. she did fine before. then she got ear infections and of course dark now when have to drive my girls to school. about a 25 min drive and a small hilly area to do through. she did fine last year with the drive and did good first of the year. but she gets sick when we get to school. no problems in afternoon. we did the seabands. gingerale and gingersnap cookies. making stops for her to get out for a break. cracked the window. sit up front. up earlier in the morning. nothing works. doc said maybe drainage. we have even tried tums at nite and in the morning since I thought acid reflex. she says does not happen on daddys week and ride the bus. she is on it longer than the car ride. she sits in the middle of the bus. I don't know why all up a sudden it started or why my week to drive them. she is sick when we get to school and then fine all day. even the ride home. help? so at a loss and feel bad for her. why also just in the morning?

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 9:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2013 in Holidays

• Are you sure it's car sick? Maybe something going on at school? Maybe she doesn't get sick on the bus because Mom and/or Dad aren't there to (in her thinking, if she's doing it because of something at school) take pity and let her stay home? Maybe she's super stressed about something at school - a bully, a test, a teacher that she has a personality conflict with, etc. If that's the case, it wouldn't happen at the end of the day because the stressful situation is behind her then. I'd try talking to her about that, and see if there's anything going on that maybe she hasn't told you about.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I used to get car sick when I was a kid too. Sucks. If she only gets sick in your car and all those things didn't help then maybe its all in her head for attention. Try distracting her with music. Let her pick a CD to play and pick which songs she wants to listen to. Get her mind off feeling sick.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• There is no way to not sound rude about this, but, perhaps it's your driving? If it's only your vehicle it's happening in then that seems to be the common denominator. It's either the way your car rides, or your driving. Unless you have an exhaust leak that lets emissions into your car. Maybe get your car checked by a technician to make sure the exhaust system is working as it should.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I tend to agree with the other poster about who is doing the driving. If she is not puking but just saying she isn't feeling well I would suspect that she is trying to get your attention OR avoiding something you are talking about. You could test the driver part by using DH's car. The other option is to let her ride the bus. Sorry!
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 10:07 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• i have 2 other kids and they don't get sick. I have asked about school and she says nothing is wrong but might have to check with school just to be sure not happening on bus and not telling me the truth. her one sister is a 6th grader and not in that school to check on her. my other daughter is a 2nd grader and she doesn't check on her. that is why so confused.
    momindiana

Comment by momindiana (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• she does get sick. I get her one week and dad gets one week. dad drives a truck and drives crazy from time to time. I go the speed limit. maybe I should try to get someone to talk to her and see if she will talk to them. I plan to move in aug. when lease up to get back on a bus route and closer to where I work so maybe that will help.
    momindiana

Comment by momindiana (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• Car sickness has little to do with the speed the car's going at ... One of my daughters gets car sick in her father's car and not in mine. We reckon it's probably the difference in suspension and possibly the difference in center of gravity (car "swings" more easily in bends). This may be a sign that your car suspension needs checking (seeing as things haven't always been this way).
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 10:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• yeah my DS only gets car sick in my MIL's car... it's a crown vic that "floats" along, and she's a "jerky" driver. I even got car sick in her car and I have never gotten car sick in any other car before. Also her perfume is too strong - could be that too. How's the exhaust in your car... any leaks? Some kids are just more sensitive to smells and movement. Mix the two and they are ill!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 10, 2013

• Make sure she eats a half hour before you need to leave and let her sit up front. My MIL only gets car sick in the back seat. Might try Dramamine, though it may put her to sleep.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• Have you thought that maybe there is some reason she doesn't want to go to school and she is "bellyaching"?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2013