• In the Spotlight:

new puppie...advise!

I got a baby pittbul for my birthday.
i have always been scare of them, but he is just a baby and already starting to be mean. what do i do so he can listen to me and not be so mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pets

• what is he doing to be mean
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• For starters...RESEARCH.RESEARCH.RESEARCH....
    Read books about pit bulls, talk to pit bull owners and speak to the vet. (Maybe watch the Dog Whisperer---he's great!!!! :) )
    Dogs are not born mean no matter the breed! Did you adopt this dog from a shelter, exactly how old is he?
    My aunt had a rottwriler (sp?) for over 13 years and she trusted him with each of her newborn children.
    I guess what you should do is read up on the breed, talk to other owners and learn as much about your new puppy as you can...Dogs are great family members as long as you treat them right and know how to handle them!
    Tiff
    alexandersmom03

Answer by alexandersmom03 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Well as soon as someone walks in the house he goes at them.
    He bit my nephew and made him bleed, he bit my mom too!
    He dont bite me though... && i love him so i dont wanna get rid of him!
    He is like 21/2 months right now. i got him when he was like 2 1/2 weeks old.
    He is like my baby.

&& thank u alexandersmom03
    i am goin look into it more =D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Best of Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :)
    alexandersmom03

Answer by alexandersmom03 at 2:02 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• How in god's green earth did you get him at 2 1/2 weeks old??? Are you nuts?? Sorry to be so blunt but that is wrong, that pup should not have left his litter mates until 8 weeks and his mom until 6 weeks. He is probably just playing and you need to teach him what proper playing is. If you can't get it under control soon and you have such a big fear (that he can sense) then you need to do him and the all pits a favor and find him a home, otherwise YOU will make him into another one of "those" pits that you hear about. That isn't fair to either of you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• From what I have heard, pitbulls get a bad rap. Dogs are usually taught to be mean. Are you doing a lot of real rough housing with him? Encouraging him to bite? Please tell me he wasn't actually taken from his mother at 2 and 1/2 weeks old. If so, I would speak to a vet. That can't be healthy. I guess the bottom line is if you don't think you can handle him, I would give him to someone that can. Good luck to you!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• well all puppies bite when the play and are teething. You have to tell them no and get them interested in soemthing else. Unless you got him from a backyard breeder a pitbull isn't mean and visious by nature. Neither are other bully breeds, rotties, shepards and other bad rap dogs.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I know 2 1/2 was wayyyyy to early BUT the mother tried killing her puppies thats why they were all taken from her so soon. NO there is no rough playing with him. I mean Ive taken very good care of him or so I think. He sleeps with me, I take him everywhere I go. I buy him toys to play with.
    He has all the shots he needs. and like the anonymous person said i dont want him to become one of "those" pitts we hear about, and i sure dont want to get rid of him!
    Like I said he is like my baby.
    Anonymous

• It wouldn't hurt to take him to doggy obedience classes, this would be a huge help.

Anonymous

• I want to ask what type of attention are you giving the dog. With the pit breed and several others you have to watch out with what types of games you play with them. No tug of war games. They learn there interaction from us. Watch how you are with your kids and SO. If they sence any hostility they can assert it onto others. Even if it is just playing just beware.
    Also it sounds like the biting might just be him teething. If he is around 2 1/2 months old that would be about right. I would pick up some training books for the pitbull breed. It will go into the dos and donts for that breed. Especially for the biting thing. A firm no might be sufficient but those books will give you more ideas.
    The pit breed can be very loving and be great dogs if trained properly and shown in a loving home. Good luck to you and your new family member.
    lindze0226

Answer by lindze0226 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2009