What do you hate about Christmas?

Above all else, it's trying to arrange time with the most family possible. I have a huge family, so the dilemma used to be whether to visit my mom's family, my dad's family, or my son's dad's family ON Christmas - and it was ALWAYS an arguement. Now that his dad and I aren't together, and my mom moved a 12 hour drive away, it's whether to see my family or my fiance's family ON Christmas. Usually we alternate (we'll see my family during the years we have my son, and during the years he's with his dad we'll see my fiance's family) - BUT my fiance's extended family have yet to meet my son, AND they are hoping to move at least a day's drive away next year, which means it'll be a journey to see them for Christmas in the future! We all hate driving all day on Christmas, but I know my fiance doesn't want to ask his family if we can come on another day during the holidays... sigh!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that being an adult and a parent just makes Christmas a lot less enjoyable!

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2013 in Holidays

• Having to buy for extended family. They have everything, are critical about what they do get and just are flat out annoying to me. So I gave my seven year old daughter money and let her pick out the gifts she wants her cousins and grandparents to have. This way it honestly came from her heart and I don't give a crap if they like it or not.
    Anonymous

• Pretty much everything. It's such a waste of money. I would rather use that money wasted on toys and crap and go on a little trip they will remember forever. I hate feeling like I am the only one getting it together. I have to buy and wrap the gifts and stocking stuffers. I have to make sure each child gets a certain amount of Santa presents and "us" gifts. I hate the whole Santa charade. I hate pretending to like this stupid holiday. I'm in the minority on here who really hates this time of year. We don't have to deal with family but my FIL
    Is coming back. Maybe if I'm lucky he will call me a "broad" again while my husband laughs.

Maybe I should go away for Christmas and let him try to put together a successful holiday. I have to do everything so I don't really get to enjoy it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• The only thing I can say is that I think it's stupid that people feel they need to give so many gifts when they can't afford to do so. We, as a society, are not hurting for anything. We can shop, buy, spend, etc.. when and where we want to. In the older days, I understand that people did not have things like they do today.. so it was special for a child to receive a toy, a new coat, clothes, etc.... It's not special anymore. Granted there are some that need things... but other than that, I feel no need to HAVE to visit relatives, etc. It's my family day. It's a holiday that I spend with my immediate family only.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I love Christmas...a bit stressful now that I have my grand daughter to take care of but I take her everywhere.....but oh so worth it, I am the one in my family that keeps the magic alive...and will continue to do so until I die! I really enjoy the cooking, the decorating and the gift giving, specially when it is a total surprise!

Answer by older at 4:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• The pressure for unachievable perfection. The family disharmony. The way some people make Christmas into an unwinnable contest about money and scented Advent candles--yes, there was a little snit at our church that was quickly snuffed out (pun intended) about scented Advent candled recently. But there are more things I love about Christmas than things I hate.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I dislike the waste- packaging on gifts- gift wrap- bows- tape- etc.

I don't *hate* anything

Sounds like your family needs to alternate Christmas Eve Christmas's so you can go to both families.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• That we have no one to share it with
    We use to go to my husband's families homes,but something that happened a few years ago made us skip them. My MIL bought the other 4 grandkids about $500 worth of gifts apiece,and gave my son the stuff you get free with purchase on Black Friday. A robe,and a truck. When my son saw the other's stuff,of course he was sad. When my MIL noticed his tears,she said that she didn't think his gifts mattered since he didn't know any different because he is "retarded". My son has autism.
    We just put on our jackets and left. I was afraid of what I would say to her.
    Not one other person there said a word to her. We later heard we were "rude" for just up and leaving without thanking her.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I love everything about Christmas. I have adult kids and We are perfectly happy having them whenever they would like. Christmas eve is traditional for us but it is for her in laws as well. They have a large family and we do not. It would be nice if they all went to one house and made it easier on the others but that is not the way it is. I only have a problem if someone else wants every holiday and every day around it as well. We have had Thanksgiving on Sunday rather than Thursday. For us Christmas is a religious day. The trapping can be any time, well maybe not July lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• People feeling so obligated to get me a gift that they ask me what I want and I can never think of anything. I've specifically not bought certain things for myself that I would normally get and leaving those for things for the kids to get me. I don't like the commercial feel of the holiday. I like getting people things, but I prefer that the gifts come from the heart. It's just not realistic.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I don't hate anything about Christmas. I'm just too old now to get stressed or bothered about holidays.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2013