when is a person to old to drive?

i was in a bad car raek ,old man 72 years old ran a stop sign right in to on comming trafic i ran right in to him he clams he didnt see the stop sign 2 feet away me , my daughter where taken to the hospital my car a mess we could have been killed when should old people turn in there keys?

jacob2003

Asked by jacob2003 at 11:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• My great aunt still drives and only has one good eye-she somehow passes her driving test every year. I don't know if age is always the problem!
    Anonymous

• People can make mistakes, miss things and suck at driving altogether regardless of age. As long as you can handle a vehicle competently, can see adequately to drive and do not have any other hindrances that keep you from operating a vehicle safely, I'd say people should be able to drive no matter how old they are. You wouldn't want someone saying a mistake you made was because you're old and decrepit any more than you'd want someone saying you don't drive well because you're young or a woman. I'm 23, have 20/20 vision and am a save driver and even I've made mistakes and missed things. I know you're angry and were inconvenienced but it'll eventually be much healthier for you to seek to reconcile your losses, forgive, forget and move on.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It's not age based. Some 50 year olds shouldn't be driving for age related deteroration while some 80 year olds do just fine. The 80 year old who nearly killed my husband 12 days before our daughter was born should not have been driving - but he didn't have a license anyway.

I think that everyone needs to be tested - both the written test and on the road - far more often. I have never actually even taken an on the road tests and I have both a car and motorcycle license! And I know that the vast majority of drivers have no idea what the rules of the road are even though we all signed a legal document stating that we know the laws and will follow them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I completely agree with kaycee14.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 12:01 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I think that once you are 50 you should have to take a longer more thorough driving test once a year to renew your license. My grandfather would just smack into people then get offended when they would yell at him for it. Finally his kids took his keys when he left the house and got lost going in circles in a cul de sac.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 12:26 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• 50 is awfully early for that test...though I understand the sentiment. 50 isn't all that old (you bunch o'whippersnappers who should be in diapers yerselves!) **grin**

I think that stricter testing should come when you qualify for Medicare and Social Security...that's age 65. I believe it will be 67 for me...and for some of you, that will be as late as age 69.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:34 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• 50? LOL.. HEll, I think Teens or young 20's are just as dangerous on the road ( which if you watched that primetime special they are comparable!).. I think that every state should set a standard age for re-testing.. ( but definitely not at 50). I also believe that teens should be allowed to get a permit at 16 but NOT allowed to get a drivers license until 18!!!! 2 years of driving experience!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• look, maybe there was some kind of obstruction or whatever that caused him to not see the sign. i've done that a time or two. kids fighting in the back seat, me fussing at them, missed seeing a sign or something along those lines. do you want to take away every person whos ever made a mistakes' license?
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 9:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Once they become a continual road hazard to themselves and others around them. My great grandmother drove until she was about 75 I think. The final straw for my family was my uncle was driving (to somewhere I don't know) when he all of a sudden saw my GG's car driving on the same side of the road he was on, but going the opposite direction. They took the keys from her that day. It's not always about age, more like ability.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2009