What do you think of this gift idea?

Christmas is right around the corner and I've barely started my shopping. I don't have much money this year since I am a single mom and I'm paying off my ex's debts.

My niece and nephew do not need anything. My brother and his wife have also already bought them everything they want. I'm trying to think outside the box and get them something that isn't going to get sold in a rummage sale in a few months.

Here's what I'm thinking: What if I bought them some of their favorite foods and maybe 1 small toy and arranged it nicely in a basket? My niece is 10 and my nephew is 5.

Please give me your honest opinion.

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 6:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2013 in Holidays

• This is what I bought my nieces and nephews. (ages 17-5)

They cost $10 a piece and are a fun kind of gift the kids will love. And I don;t have to feel bad only spending  $10 on them when it is so funny and will provide hours of hilarity!

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I always do a treat bag with a small toy - even a 97 cent hotwheel- and fill with slim jims, gum etc
    I have 12 nieces and nephews....cant afford more than that for each of them so yes that should be fine
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 7:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I like that idea.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I like the basket idea. Including something like an amaryllis bulb kit in the basket is fun too. My kids and grandkids love doing the bulb kit as a project. They run around $6 at Home Depot and the grocery stores.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• I think it will be nice. I love putting together baskets for all ages. You can get fun things at the dollar store to add to it. Silly string, pencils, playing cards, candy, a Christmas glass, whatever. Happy Holidays !
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2013

• Paying off the ex's debt, been there done that. Makes my blood boil.

When I was trying to do gifts while financially challenged, I did a lot of home made things. I did home made truffles; I  made crochet scarves and quilts in the people's favorite colors. Things like that.  I think your idea is good. maybe make them a batch of their favorite cookies.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 11:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2013