When did you start forward facing?

Age and weight

Tana9811

Asked by Tana9811 at 1:58 AM on Dec. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• With my DD, I started just before a year (doc's permission) at 21 lbs.

With my DS, I started just after a year at 26 lbs.

If I knew then what I know now, they would have stayed rear-facing until at least 18 months, possibly 24 months. What's done is done, and thankfully nothing bad happened, so I don't dwell on it or call it a parenting regret. I just know that, given the opportunity to have a redo, I'd make a different choice.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

• I started mine at 20 lbs - which none of them reached until several months after they turned 1.

Answer by missanc at 6:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

• When they outgrew their rear facing car seats because my children are NOT a minimum which is what the law states. For me that meant about 22 months for my first (now 8 years old and still in a backless booster) and 29 months for my second (now 6 and still in a high back booster just outgrew the 5 point harness). May-20 yes there are things parents regret but at least there were no horrible accidents where something happened for you to regret. At this point all are safe and you do what you feel is right and best for your family at the time. My mother says she regrets not breastfeeding us but at the time formula was said to be "better" then breastmilk so she did the best with the information she had at the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Both of my kids got turned around on their first birthday. They were also well over 20 pounds at that point too. The day they got turned around and could SEE out the windows, was the day they stopped hating riding in the car.

This was also before this "rear facing until 2" stuff. My kids are tall for their age, and always have been. They BOTH were over 3 feet tall at their 2 (son) and 2.5 (daughter) well child checks.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:42 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

• My oldest was only 6 months old when she outgrew the infant carrier, and I didn't know about extended rear-facing back then (she'll be 13 next month). I think my son was around a year old, next girl was in it till baby sis was born, and she until around 1 year old.

With our last one, we've learned quite a bit, and we started her out in a seat that would extend rear-facing. She's a little over a year and still rear-facing and will be until recommended height.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

• My minimum is 2 years.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2013