Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can I call the police if my 18 year old daughter is out if control ?

My daughter just turned 18 dropped out of high school, lost all her good friends has no respect for herself or her family . We raised her to be strong, respectful and gave her all our love! In the last 8 months she's ran away at least 20 times dissapearing sometimes for days sometimes for weeks & we don't know where ages is. She goes and hangs out with random guys she doesn't know , she has these 2 little girls she also drinks with one is 14 the other is 15 . I know this because they post pictures on facebook she has these guys but liquor and drugs than just do the same thing everyday . She will sleep anywhere she will steal from stores for clothes and food she is very reckless she doesn't care about anything or anyone .each time she's came back home we tried EVERYHING counseling , tough love, talking yo her and each time she promised she will never do it again but a month later she's gone! She has gotten beat up by a guy she didn't press charges, she is extremely beautiful and thinks her looks will get her out of anything . She's not depressed or remorseful ever! She's a pathological liar . She can convince a jury that a snow is blue not white I'm serious that's how good she is!! That's why we believe her sometimes. We kicked her out that didn't do anything she left we didn't know where she was for almost 2 months when she did come back home she was beaten badly . She keeps doing it this day and I'm afraid she will get killed I
Wish she was I'm jail instead of in the streets drunk . Than people take pictures of her & post them on facebook . She was such a good person never did this till she turned 18 it's not a phase she just likes hanging out with minors and getting strange men's attention . What can I do she just turned 18 I can't just sit back & let her die. Someone please help me.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Dec. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

Answers (9)
  • Yes u can call the police but they may say they cant help sence shes 18 but u can press charges for under age drinkng n if i was u because i have been through it myself call ur local adult protective Services n report her alcohol n drug abuse i may b 24 but i also have one heck of a life till my son was born n i had to wake up n smell the coffee n may u help me on a question also im being induced on my second as i post to u can u help fined a middle name that flowels with bentley _______ Curtis thanx
    Brittany C.

    Answer by Brittany C. at 5:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

  • Thank you honey yeah my daughter is just killing me. & for your baby's middle name I have few in my mind you can see if like these : Christopher , or Michael , aydin, Brody , tarek which means king btw. That's what I got so far lol and you mentioned you went through it how did your mom deal with it? Did you have a problem at home? & also should I still call or text her ? How should I act towards her ? I don't know whether to leave her alone or still try to make her come home like I said in my question she's been doing this toe for a year, I wish I knew how to have her wake up ! Thanks

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

  • If you can prove she is breaking any laws, you can call the police. Or if you can provide evidence that she has broken any law. I would do that. It might be the only thing that will get her attention. If you get her arrested, do not soften and bail her out. You have to let the court system do its job. That will be the hardest part.

    Answer by NannyB. at 8:27 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

  • Not much you can do at this point. If she gets arrested then don't bail her out. You mentioned 'tough love', but what exactly did that look like? What did you do?

    Her age pretty much dictates that she is legally an adult and you can't 'make' her do anything. You however do have control over your environment. You do not need to let her come back to your home if she is destructive or does not follow your rules. I know this isn't what you want to do because you are worried about where she will end up. Do you drug test her when she comes back home?


    Answer by QuinnMae at 10:07 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

  • Does she have any mental health issues? You could petition for her to have a mental health evaluation. Call the non emergency police number in your area and ask their advice.

    Answer by jenny3344 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

  • I agree; call the non-emergency dispatch number and go from there. Now that your daughter is over eighteen, it may be hard to find her help. But as hard as it is, let the law do its job and don't welcome her into your home while she's making destructive choices that could harm you or your family. Turn her in if you get evidence that she is breaking the law because getting apprehended could be the best thing to stop her going down this dangerous path. And if you believe in a higher power, pray or reach out. I do, even when the situation seems hopeless, and I find comfort.

    Answer by Ballad at 11:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

  • She was a sweet girl who just turned 18 and has done all this in a short amount of time.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

  • She obviously is still acting out something... most addicts have severe self esteem issues... but I think... you need for her to take responsibility. The first thing would be to get her out of your house. Tell her you'll help her set up an apartment, and maybe expenses for 6 months, but she has to get a job if she is not going to school. Someone is helping her stay in this addicted life style, am I right? Where does she get the money to go drinking and doing nothing all day? Stop helping her in this way. I know this is hard when you love someone. You need to sit her down and tell her what you will accept going forward, and how much you will bail her out... then follow through. Sometimes things in life are rough, but tell her you won't help her live this way anymore. Maybe you can get her into a rehab; she sounds like she needs an intervention. Best of luck to you.

    Answer by mosleyjackson at 11:55 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

  • She has two options: Rehab or Jail.


    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.