My 4 yr old will go to sleep at 9 and wake up at 11 at night. Then she stays awake until 1 or 2 and maybe finally goes to sleep. Shes in headstart 4 days a week.

But her daddy just went to jail like 2 months ago. I just dont know what to do. She even wets the bed sometimes like she lazy. I am exhausted and I have depression and anxiety.

Stephanie W.

Asked by Stephanie W. at 4:39 AM on Dec. 11, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What do you do when she wakes up at 11? I would make her stay in her room, in bed, maybe with some soft music on. Don't let her watch tv or play, that's just rewarding her for waking. My oldest did this for several months but finally grew out of it. As far as setting the bed, some kids aren't ready to go all night yet - get some pull-ups.

Answer by missanc at 6:22 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

• The wetting is normal, not lazy. Put her in a pull up. Does she nap during the day? If so, end that. Otherwise, just make her stay in her bed.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:55 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Instead of gping to bed at 9pm go to bed at 11pm. And teach her to stay in bed or at least in her room and play tell she is tired.

Answer by louise2 at 8:13 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Wetting the bed is normal plus she has the stress of a parent in prison. As others have said, use pullups at night.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:23 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Get counseling and meds for your anxiety and depression then you can handle your DD more easily.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

• You know, I'd like to give some perspective looking back through time. It may simply be --- that is your daughter's natural biological clock. My folks put me to bed around 9, but I'd wake up and stay awake, and never could sleep til midnight or 1 or even 2. AND... I still have that problem! Except in my 40s, I accept it, and make no early morning appointments. Of course I couldn't do that when I had to go to school, but I never was alert until about noon. I didn't take naps either, I'd just lay there. Mom let me have a small radio to listen to in bed when I was in Middle School, (with headphones so I didn't wake up my sis) until I fell asleep. She understood because she wasn't a morning person either! So... that's another possibility. It might be perfectly normal. And do get some help with the depression. You probably need sleep too!
    mosleyjackson

Answer by mosleyjackson at 11:41 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

• You both need help.
    This guy is going to drag you both down and make your lives miserable until he straightens his life out. When he can prove he is in a good place and can be a good father, then let him back in your life.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Short or no naps and 10:00 bed time. Must stay in bed if wakes up. Does she have bed or crib?
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 7:22 AM on Dec. 18, 2013