How can I tell if I had a miscarriage? adult content

Hi, I'm new... =:o I have wondered this all my life, and no OB/GYN doc can answer my question, as it happened so long ago. I was 19, had unprotected sex with my fiance, and missed 2 periods. BUT... I also had severe endometriosis that was yet undiagnosed, extremely painful periods (my doc gave me pain pills and I missed school every month, it was that bad- years later I had 2 surgeries due to it) and to further complicate issues, my periods were irregular by weeks. Sometimes I would skip a month. Occasionally I skipped 2. One time I had skipped 2, was going on 3, and thought, oh lord that's it, I'm pregnant and my parents are gonna kill me. Suddenly my period started...But the pain was excruciating, horrifying cramps; I nearly passed out in the dorm bathroom, and there was SO much blood (sorry... but there was...) and clots... I wondered if I might die?...probably should have gone to hospital. But I was terrified, and young, so didn't go. This went on for over an hour. Later that year when I saw my GYN I asked if... I had ever been pregnant. They thought I was an idiot, didn't I know? Well no, and I couldn't say why! because my parents would find out about this visit, and I wasn't married (very Catholic family you know). Fast forward to my 30s, when I finally had a hysterctomy because of the endometriosis being so severe I couldn't live normal any more. I never had any children. The surgeon said my uterus was SO small it was doubtful I could have ever carried to term, and there was a lot of scarring on my tubes, and cysts on the ovaries. Ok... that's a lot I know, and I'm sorry about it being so graphic, : ( but I've always wondered... since I couldn't have children, is it possible I misscarried early on? has anyone else ever had anything like this happen? I'd like to know from the voices of experience. (And please... say something helpful, ok? it was rough enough...) Thank you....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Do you have stepchildren or have you adopted a child?
    It could have been a miscarriage,or just the endometriosis

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• That's a sad story. There's probably no way for you to know scientifically. If you are still religious, you can pray that maybe God will reveal the answers to you in this life or the next one. But sometimes we just get peace in accepting that we don't have ansers. I've lost four babies to miscarriage, and I wonder who they are and if I'll meet them again some day. I also might have lost one when I wasn't ready to be pregnant yet, long before I was married, when I hadn't even had sex and we were just sort of snuggling up against each other and getting a little too close for comfort. Accidents happen, and some fluids got where they shouldn't have--and since I have a child years later conceived the same way I know it does come about through those circumstances--and I had horrendous bleeding after waiting six weeks for a period I prayed would come. I'll always wonder but I've come to a peace about it. I hope you do, too.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Probably not.
    My BFF's story is much like yours. Sever endometriosis, cysts, hysterectomy before age 30, etc, and she was told she most likely could never get pregnant. Too much damage.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Who knows? You shouldn't worry about what happened years ago, at this point in time, you can't go back and rewind it. I think dwelling on you what could have been is harmful, now you need to wrap your head around not having biological children, it doesn't mean you can't be a mother, just because you don't carry a baby.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Most women have at least one miscarriage in their lifetime and most don't even know it. I wouldn't worry too much about something that happened in the past, especially something as frequent and common as a miscarriage. If you didn't know you were pregnant it wasn't really a loss.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• I don't think you were. It had more to do with the endometriosis.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• What would be the point in dwelling on that now? You've already been through surgery and recovered. I know it's hard not getting that chance but there's always other choices out there and other ways to have a baby or child. If you had would it change what's going on in your life currently? Would you have still gone ahead with the surgery?
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 9:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2013