Ideas to entertain and old lady...

i clean for an old lady, that's all I do and then I go home. I didn't know till a couple weeks ago she told me that I make her day and she just loves me.

the thing is, she listens to a radio and I think that's probably it. she says she hates the outside, doesn't watch tv or even the internet. she even told me she doesn't really care much for her husband's company.

i'm looking for some ideas to bring to her. i'm sure she's done tons of puzzles and she obviously needs a partner in a board game. I don't know. I was thinking I should stay for a 1/2 hour or hour longer to play a game with her but that's even got me a little stuck.

ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I think just sitting and talking with her would make her day
    And elderly sounds better :)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• How thoughtful of you, does she like to read? If she likes to listen to things, maybe some books on tape for her? How about latch hook? You didn't say if she is infirm or what, but maybe she likes to knit, it might be nice to take her to lunch one day, or encourage her to find some other ladies to do things with.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• taking lunch to her is a good idea. books on tape might be a good idea too. I have not seen anything that she calls a hobby so I don't know about knitting or anything of the sort.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• maybe a trip to the local senior center to mingle with other her age might be an outing she would enjoy.
    peggy0927

Answer by peggy0927 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Scrabble? Cards?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• i think talking to her and sitting with her makes her day.
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• I think taking her out to lunch would be a great idea. Then stop at a store where she may want to buy something. Even grocery shopping with her.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Find out where her interests lie. There are so many games out there that could be tailored to what lights her up--google the company Mindware. The games are for kids, but I think older people might enjoy them as well. All based on history and science and stuff. Or at least they turn me on anyway. Maybe I'm just a kid at heart. What about scrapbooking or Rainbow Loom if her eyesight is good?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• I would just say "I've got a little time until my next appointment, would you like to have a cup of tea and chat?"

You can go from there.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• If she has kids and/or grands get her talking about them. Ask about what she did if she worked. Perhaps a card game -war rummy-?
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 5:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2013