Make her pay for it?

My husband thinks I should but it was an accident and don't think that would be fair. So we gave my dd an early Christmas present (tickets to a show) I was videoing with the Ipod and I had my camera on the floor in front of me so I could snap a pic after. I specifically said out loud be-careful my camera is on the floor. So dd opens her gift and is so happy and shilling and excited she jumps up and comes towards me for a hug her knee lands on my camera and crunch it's smashed. Way to ruin a moment! lol. The funny thing is if you watch the video you here the camera break and my dd say ohoh. It's kinda funny but I am pissed as-well. So should she pay for a new one I say no he says yes?

pinkparcel

Asked by pinkparcel at 7:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• No. It was an accident. Your camera should have been on your lap or on a side table, not on the floor (though we've all done things like that before). She was excited, as you knew she'd be, and wanted to hug you because she was so happy. There was no maliciousness anywhere in this incident. I don't think she deserves any punishment, really.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• I really don't think a camera should be sitting on the floor at a time like this, knowing what a great reaction you might get from the person getting the gift. It's simply too unpredictable. I'd pay for the camera myself if I had placed it on the floor.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• That wasn't her fault

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• How old is this child?
    Get in trouble, yes. Do extra chores. But pay for it? No!

Answer by louise2 at 7:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Depends on the age.

Whatever you decide, there should be some kind of consequence(s).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• Absolutely not. She was not being malicious or trying to destruct. It was an accident!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• No I do not think she should have to pay for it.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 7:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• NOT her fault... YOU put it on the floor!! Most normal people walk on the floor!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• I agree not her fault she is 9, I was sitting on the floor that's why it was in-front of me. Poor kid it made a funny video though.
    pinkparcel

Comment by pinkparcel (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• It was on accident and really it's your fault for putting it on the floor as opposed to having hubby hold it. No she should not have to pay for it. It's christmas.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2013