Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can i move out of state with my daughter? we were never married and ive raised her by myelf for the past 2 years?. he has many ways to contact me to have a relationship with our daughter and doesnt..

Answer Question

Asked by michimichelle at 5:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • That's a question for a lawyer. It depends on your custody and/or visitation agreement, and whether or not you even have one.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 7:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

  • need to ask lawyer
    in 48 of 50 states, a woman has a child and not married AND never stepped foot in court- or served for court...has 100% rights
    but in two of 50, the father has rights even if never married (i think FL is one, forgot other, and not 100% on FL)

    i would call a lawyer, should be able to find one that can give you basis advice over phone when you have the right questions to ask, if one will not try another, but find one that says yes you can legally, then find another in phone book that says same thing, i would get two to agree what law is in your state on this

    if you have never been married to father and have never been to court or been serves to go to court regarding child support and or custody, then in 48 of 50 states you can move anywhere you please, and make all the decisions for your child and he has 0 rights, until he files for his rights in court


    Answer by fiatpax at 7:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

  • does not mean he can not file after you have moved across country, and then you would have to deal with the court where he files his motion for his rights

    IF you think he will never take any interest and never married, never court- then you can take that chance
    i say chance because that unknown will always be out there
    if you were to go to court, then everything all nice and legal but then risk chance he would want time, as judge very likely to want the father to take part in childs life and support child $ wise

    you can make it without his support or lawyer first see what your state laws are

    good luck

    Answer by fiatpax at 7:27 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

  • if you have gone to court and he has rights, but does not see child= he still has rights and you can NOT move distance away without going back to court

    Answer by fiatpax at 7:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

  • What does the Court order say?

    Answer by Dardenella at 9:39 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

  • Best ask a lawyer.

    Answer by louise2 at 9:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

  • Best to call an attorney to clarify. Is there a court order for visitation?

    Answer by QuinnMae at 9:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

  • Yes you can. Sometimes the rules are a bit different if you were not married.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

  • Contact an attorney. I never married my son's father but I still have to get permission in writing from him to move out of state. He hasn't been involved in 17 years to boot.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

  • when we left California to Washington we never went to court for custody or anything.. i did have a restraining order on him nd he was arrested for dv and child endangerment..

    Comment by michimichelle (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.